I am so sore

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2005, 10:10 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
Does anyone know of any other thing that you can do for sore nipples other than the lanolin. I have been using that and it helps a little. I think it is because he is going through a little growth spurt. He is nursing more often and for a longer period of time. They are so sore that I want to cry. The lady at the WIC office said that his growth spurt should only last a few days but it has been 3 days already. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Rebecca

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
April 12th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you tried exposing your breasts to air. With my last baby, I'd sleep with my top pulled up or off and it helped me so much in just a days days. I couldn't do that during the day as I had 5 other children running around the house but just at night worked wonders for me. I still used the lanolin cream.
April 12th, 2005, 01:27 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
other than the lanolin and making sure that they are dry .... are you sure he hasn't gottne a lazy latch? Double check your latch!

FWIW ... Liam's growth spurts always lasted a week! Nearly made me insane, but here we are at 2 and still going strong!

Tracy
April 12th, 2005, 02:25 PM
He has a really good latch as far as I know. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I feel like crying when I have to nurse him. Normally it hurts like to first few sucks and than I feels fine but now the entire time he is nursing it hurts. Rebecca

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
April 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am coming in late here, but how long have you been nursing. I was in pure pain for 3 or 4 weeks. The only advice I can offer is what the other ladies have.. let it air dry for a few minutes after nursing.. and just keep applying that lanolin

April 12th, 2005, 03:47 PM
I have only been nursing for almost three weeks but after the first week it stopped hurting really bad. I do remember when I nursed my girls that it hurt really bad for longer. I am nursing him right now and it hurt for the first minute and than no pain. I just don't understand it. I am so confused.

April 13th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For latch make sure his mouth is open really wide and the nipple is going in at the bottom and as much in as he'll take.

Put the lanolin on before and after you nurse. Putting it on before softens the nipples so he isn't latching onto dry ones. After will help with long term soreness.

If it lasts much longer, have him checked for thrush. it can cause pain while nursing.
April 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM
I remember the thrush from my daughter and it was never as painful as that. Last night and today I haven't had any pain. I just don't understand it but I refuse to give up on nursing just because it hurts. It just makes it very difficult.

April 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
abbezma's Avatar Regular
I know alot of people discourage the use but I used a nipple sheild for the first few weeks , 3-4 weeks until my nipples healed. I had a hard time getting her to latch well. I felt guilty and worried about not producing enough milk because apparently it can interfere with milk supply. But after about a month I felt confident to stop using and my DD is a very healthy 15.5 lb 4.5 month old. If it wasn't for the sheild I may have stopped!!

I Love My Baby!!
April 14th, 2005, 10:06 AM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/03a-sore_nipples.html
xoxo, Tiffany

April 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Sweet Louison's Avatar Veteran
i just wanted to mention that a friend of mine had a child that seemed to have a growth spurt that last for a week and she took her to the dr. and found out that the kid has reflux and was nursing all the time to feel better...

Hollie
April 17th, 2005, 01:46 PM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm using Kamillosan, it has 10.5% chamomile in it and it's wonderful. It's available at Mothercare in the UK, but I'm sure you'd be able to get it under another name in the States.

I'm also bathing with a chamomile tea bag, it's even better than drinking it

April 18th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beccaak@Apr 12 2005, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know of any other thing that you can do for sore nipples other than the lanolin.* I have been using that and it helps a little.* I think it is because he is going through a little growth spurt.* He is nursing more often and for a longer period of time.* They are so sore that I want to cry.* The lady at the WIC office said that his growth spurt should only last a few days but it has been 3 days already.* Any help or advice would be appreciated.* Rebecca
<div align="right"><{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/quote]

Just browsing the website, never have breastfed, but I did reasearch on the subject last semester for nursing school...

Some things to try:

-Dont wash nipples with soap (just rinse with water)
-Massage your own breat milk into nipples after feedings, let air dry
-Use olive oil on nipples: acts as a natural moiterizer and has antibacterial properties
-Nipple sheilds
-Gel pads (there are many brands...but they can be expensive)
-Dont be afriad to take an OTC pain med (ask MD first) but most docs would agree if you are that uncomfertable...it would be better for you both.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search