Newborn loosing weight.

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My friend called me a few minutes ago and her baby is still loosing weight. She had him on the 31st of March and he weighed 8lb. 3oz. He's down to 7lb 6oz today. I guess they have had her bring him in to be weighed a couple of times now. They have told her to keep a 48hour journal and bring him back Thursday to see if he's gained anything and I think have suggested to start supplementing after feedings. How long do babies continue to loose before they start to regain? I'm not sure why they had her bring him in so soon, because I usually have not been to told to bring mine in until 2 weeks unless baby had a problem. I've breastfed all of mine for different amounts of time and never had this happen although as I said it was two weeks till they were weighed again. My last two took until 3 weeks or so to get back to their birth weight. She says he latches on well and she can hear him swallow and is feeding him on demand. He falls asleep very quickly when she nurses him and does not empty her out and is ready to eat again very quickly. She says she is unbundling him and rubbing his feet and cheeks and talking to him to try to keep him awake. She's feeling awful about this. This is her fourth child and she has bf them all. Her first child was very slow to gain and low on the charts so some doctors gave her a hard time, but told her she was ok since she was on her own growth curve, but she didn't loose like he is. She always gained a little. I feel so bad for her, she is feeling like a failure. Plus when she was there a doctor told her he was going to court because a woman refused to supplement. He didn't give her any details or history, but it didn't make her feel any better. If any of you have any advice or words of wisdom I can pass on that would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and the baby seems healthy and strong so the doctors are not thinking that he has a health problem at this time.
Thanks.
April 12th, 2005, 12:31 PM
threeboyznme70's Avatar Veteran
I would suggest block feeding so that insures that the baby gets more of the hind milk.

Have her nurse the same breast for a 2 or 3 hour block of time. So, if baby eats at 8 for 5 minutes on the right breast, ANY TIME before 11 should be fed ont he right breast. At 11, (timing is just an example) switch to the left breast and stay on it for 3 hours (or 2 .... I always did 3). This worked well for Liam. He was 8-1 at birth and 11-6.5 at 6 weeks. LOL moooooooooooooooooooo!

She's not a failure, the first few weeks are tough. Tell her to hang in there. If they want her to supplement, she's better off pumping and supplementing with EBM. ounce for ounce, bm has more calories than formula!

Best Wishes to your friend. Tell her to keep plugging along and do ask more questions if this isn't clear enough.

Tracy
April 13th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Birth weight is not important. What was the lowest weight the baby was at the hospital. That is the weight you start off at to see if they've gained or not. If his lowest hospital weight was lower than 7lbs 6oz then he's gaining. Though since it has been 2 weeks since he was born I'm guessing he wasn't lower than that. Usually babies gain their birth weight back within 3 weeks.

Quote:
He falls asleep very quickly when she nurses him and does not empty her out and is ready to eat again very quickly.[/b]
This is the problem. He needs to get that hind milk out because it is the fatty stuff. She can try the pp suggestion. Another one would be to have a nurse-in for 24-48hours. This means she lays in bed/couch with the baby and does nothing but nurse for that long. Have someone else take her other kids.

She should also be waking him and making sure he does not go longer than 2hours between feedings. Unswaddling is good but stripping him right down will keep him awake a bit longer. Being so sleepy it is hard to get them to wake up enough which is why she should be waking him more often to eat than the demand feeding(until he starts to gain weight and is more awake).

Basically if she does not want to supplement she need to nurse him as much as she can emptying the breasts for the next 48hours until she sees the dr again.

The other thing I would suggest is switching dr offices. The dr's there know nothing about bf'ing if their answer is supplementation. The dr who is going to court, I am hoping that is a severe case where the baby is malnourished and the mother isn't supplementing but unfortunatly it may not be.

Dr's ask patients to come back at different times. My oldest I had a different dr and was told to come back when she was 3weeks or 6weeks old, alot of the dr's here do the 3 or 6 week appointment. The dr I have now says to come back in 6-7days. he does it to check for jaundice and see how things are going.
April 18th, 2005, 10:03 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growt...n_increase.html
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/04enough_milk.html
xoxo, Tiffany

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search