Annoying Nursing Behaviour

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By angelsailor288

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2012, 09:12 AM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
For about a month or more baby girl has been grabbing stuff while nursing. My nose, mouth, neclace, she grabs onto my breast and scratches, or just squeezes tissue really hard, releases and does it again. She pushes her arms into my stomach when we are laying, pats her head, etc.

I know its totally normal, and usually it's cute, but sometimes it is annoying. Does this eventually settle down?

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
March 6th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yup, that's completely normal and just part of her exploring her world! It might get better, it might not.....depends on the kid!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

March 6th, 2012, 11:16 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
totally normal. try to minimize distractions (dark, quiet room, etc) or give her something in her hand to play with.

March 6th, 2012, 06:42 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Des's annoying behavior peaked at about month 8. He calmed down a little after that. He still occasionally tries to stick his hands in my mouth or pick my nose while nursing. Charming.

Thank you Vicki!

March 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicholas is into all that too. The only thing I dislike is him shoving his fingers into my mouth and ripping them back out real quick - OUCH! I tell him no no in a deep voice when he does that and he stops.
Purrrrrrr likes this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
We're dealing with this as well. She gives me little cuts with her nails all over my boobs too. I need to get a nursing necklace.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
March 8th, 2012, 02:06 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Carter will grab my boob and the skin over my rib cage. When he pinches I can definitely tell when I need to clip his nails!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
March 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Tristan does that too. He also likes to grab the strings from my hoodie and pull really tight lol

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
March 9th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Audrina also is beginning to explore when eating. Normally I lift my shirt when feeding, so she grabs and pulls at that.

She did however manage to scratch my nose this week (and I feel like I am cutting her nails every other day!) and also will quickly unlatch and then grab my nipple with her strong little hands. DH finds it hilarious.....me, not so much.

Proud mama to Audrina (10-10-2011) & Bryden (09-19-2014)

March 9th, 2012, 10:20 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Very normal! And very annoying at times! Do you have a nursing necklace? I finally broke down and ordered one when Kate was scratching the heck out of me and nursing had become way more frustrating than enjoyable to me. It was great to give her something to fiddle with and keep her sharp little nails from grabbing my boobie flesh (like she'd grab a handful!).

The scratching/grabbing thing does eventually change - at least it did for us - but the dis tractability and unwillingness to sit still came and went for a long time. I started taking her into a dark room to nurse just to get her to settle down and stop messing around and looking everywhere and trying to stand on me while nursing, etc.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 14th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
It's gotten to the point with Gabe being so distractable and grabby that can only nurse him in my bedroom with the curtains drawn if I want him to have a good nursing session. He's too busy to sit still.

My Boring Blog
March 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Shawn has a hair thing. He likes to twirl and tug my hair for comfort. He does this almost every time he nurses. He's pretty gentle about it so it doesn't really bother me. I think it's kind of sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarmagic View Post
Very normal! And very annoying at times! Do you have a nursing necklace? I finally broke down and ordered one when Kate was scratching the heck out of me and nursing had become way more frustrating than enjoyable to me. It was great to give her something to fiddle with and keep her sharp little nails from grabbing my boobie flesh (like she'd grab a handful!).

The scratching/grabbing thing does eventually change - at least it did for us - but the dis tractability and unwillingness to sit still came and went for a long time. I started taking her into a dark room to nurse just to get her to settle down and stop messing around and looking everywhere and trying to stand on me while nursing, etc.
I was going to suggest a nursing necklace too. It really helped with Lyndsey but I don't know that it would help with Shawn because he likes my hair. I try to get him to grab other things and he gets irritated. But they aren't that much money and it's worth trying.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search