Juice, water?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 14th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Hey Guys,

My little one is about to be 10 months old. For you BTDT moms, how often did your babies nurse at this stage? At 11 months? 12?

And when did you guys decide to give juice and water regularly? How much?

Gabe is now down to about 5 nursings per day. I don't yet give him juices or water on a regular basis, just for practice a few nights a week. I nurse him after he's done eating for a few minutes for a little drink.

I want to nurse him for at least year, so I don't want to jeopardize my milk supply by giving him too much water and juice. But I want to start weaning at 12 months as well and hopefully be down to one or two nursings or done by 15 months.

My Boring Blog
March 14th, 2012, 09:29 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
DD nursed a bazillion times a day until well past 2 yo we did give her water probably a little before a year old as we were going to Death Valley in the summer and wanted her to be good at drinking water. I do not remember when we gave juice, but it was super watered down and 100% fruit juice.

March 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM
JustLiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You don't need to give juice (ever) if you don't want to. It has a lot of sugar in it that they don't need. DS has never had juice and if he does get it it will not be from me. He drinks water and eats fruit. Ok, I'm done preaching about juice.

I started giving him water with meals pretty early. I want to say maybe 6 months. I just handed him a sippy cup and let him do what he wanted with it. At first he just played with it and didn't get much out but soon he was a pro. I let him regulate how much he needs. I didn't notice a change in how much he nursed after giving him water. He still preferred boob for sure. I planed on weaning at 12 months, but here we are going on 13! I started giving him cow's milk at 11 months, but he still wants a bedtime and morning nursing session.

Just make sure you have a sippy cup that has a good top. DS throws his on the floor all the time. Which is another reason that water is better than juice! No sticky mess.

Thank you Vicki!

March 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicholas isnt nursing too much during the day lately. He's way too busy and too concerned with solid foods. I give him a sippy with water but he just gums it. I'm not too worried about it.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 15th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I nursed dd for 16 months....was planning to wean at 12. We did wean down to all but the morning and nighttime nurse though. At 10 months old she still nursed pretty regularly but was also having regular "meals". On days I worked she would take a 6 oz. bottle in the morning and a 6 oz. bottle in the afternoon along with her "lunch". I didn't do juice either. She is now 2 and only rarely has watered down juice. Once you introduce it then they want it. It's not worth the fight IMO. She does love water and started having water in a sippy cup around the one year mark. She still is a good water drinker.
March 15th, 2012, 08:42 AM
miamor
i give my son super watered down juice (i'd say 25% juice, 75% water) in order to get him to take his iron supplement every other day. he will drink plain water also. i only give 100% juices or nectars. i'm not sure i would have started juice so early other than because the supplement tastes so bad, he wouldn't take it straight. i think as long as what you're giving is natural and also diluted, it wont hurt to give it once in a while..i probably would have waited til he was closer to 18 months... but this is definitely a personal decision as you can see from the varied opinions!
oh and he still nurses maybe 4-5 times during the day and off and on all night.
March 16th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustLiz View Post
You don't need to give juice (ever) if you don't want to. It has a lot of sugar in it that they don't need. DS has never had juice and if he does get it it will not be from me. He drinks water and eats fruit. Ok, I'm done preaching about juice.
Ditto! I don't plan to offer my DD juice until she's 3 at a bare minimum and probably not even then.

March 16th, 2012, 07:43 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
My DD just started on 100% juice (watered down at least 50-50, but more like 75-25) in the past month or so at close to 2! She will ask for water all day long but juice is a once in a while type thing- she doesn't seem to like it. We started the water at around 4 or 6 months since we live in a desert, the doc said to give it a try but if she didn't take it, it's not a worry. She would play with the sippy, shake it, try to get the lid off... and not drink much but now she probably drinks at least 2- 10 oz sippies a day of just water, more if the weather is warmer. We breastfed for 22 months (and would probably still be going but I got pregnant) and at 10 months, she was still nursing at least 4+ times a day and a couple times a night. She seemed to keep that schedule of at least 2 times a day and once at night until we weaned.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
March 19th, 2012, 07:45 AM
..Penelope..'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
At around that age, L was loving the baby led solids, so we gave him some water with meals. We have never given him juice, I don't think it's necessary.

Missing our angel baby since Feb 7, 2009

Visit
BeaMade for unique, adorable, high quality handmade crochet hats and booties, velcro free soother clips and soft sole baby boots.
March 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
eva_luvs_dave's Avatar team green!
My son is now 10 months and nurses usually every 3-4 hours. He drinks at least 10 oz of water from a sippy a day and also eats solids. I didn't notice a drop in nursing at all when he started having water or solids. He LOVES water!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search