Help wanted, low evening supply??

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Purrrrrrr
  • 1 Post By Blue-Jay

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Hi! I'm new here. My name is Jenny, and my baby is 6 weeks old. I am EBFing and it has been going great until now. About the last 10 days, it seems like my supply goes way down in the evening, and I am not able to supply what my son needs. He will eat for about 3-4 minutes on each side, and then pull away crying, go back and try again, and pull away. I let this go on for 3 or 4 minutes, but when it becomes apparent that he is not going to settle back in, I assume that it means he isn't getting anything. I'm stuck trying to feed him every 1.5 - 2 hrs, but he never seems satisfied. If he falls asleep and can stay asleep for 2-3 hrs, the problem goes away around midnight, but between 5 or 6 pm and midnight is torture for us both.

Anyone been through something similar or have any suggestions? I feel so guilty about it and I want to fix this problem so we can have peaceful evenings again! I can't really pump extra during the day right now because I am pumping in the morning and early afternoon to build a supply for when I go back to work on Monday. (I had a reasonable stash, but when we found out he was allergic to milk proteins, I can't feed him everything I pumped before week 5).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

March 18th, 2012, 05:32 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
it is normal for your supply to be the lowest in the evening and highest in the morning. i would try to nurse him as much as you can to build your supply up. are you staying well hydrated? (at least 100oz day?) are you eating enough? you can also try power pumping at night and in a couple weeks your supply should be a lot higher at night, the info is at the pumping forum, but basically you are simulating cluster feeding (how a baby eats at a growth spurt) by pumping on and off for an hour, both sides at the same time if possible, 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off.

oh and it is pretty normal for some bf babies to wake up every 1-2 hours to nurse when they are little, try cosleeping if you are not (even the bassinet or pack and play next to the bed) to make it easier on you, especially with going back to work.

March 18th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Thank you so much! I'll also check the pumping forum for more advice. I might be less hydrated in the evening, so I'll start trying to drink more in the afternoon/late afternoon. I really appreciate your advice!

March 18th, 2012, 06:09 PM
no problem! any time Please come back and visit often. And KUP!

March 19th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
kellymom.com has an article about fussy evenings. If being super-extra-hydrated doesn't seem to improve things, he may just be a fussy-evening baby and that gets better in a few weeks.

Check this article out: kellymom.com :: Cluster Feeding and Fussy Evenings

It helped me cope through those first few months and understand what was going on with my baby who seemed to want to stay latched 24/7.
Blue-Jay likes this.

My Boring Blog
March 21st, 2012, 11:43 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Thanks! I started cluster feeding in the evenings, and it has reduced the problem sooo much! That Kellymom website is TERRIFIC!!! I learned a lot and found out that we are normal in a lot of ways that I was unsure about. I also started back to work this week and have been pumping during the day. I can see my supply slowly going down as the day progresses. I go every two hours to pump for 10 minutes on each side, and it has helped me understand how my body is working. I realize that what I pump is less than what he would get if he were nursing, but it also shows me where the peaks and valleys are in my daily production. Now I can pump in the late afternoons/evenings to up the supply at those times.

I'm super grateful to everyone for your help and suggestions!!
Purrrrrrr likes this.

March 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Have you tried double pumping instead of one side at a time? this would produce a lot more milk for me. i also had a bit of a gap between what i pumped and what she consumed while i was at work and pumped on my days off to make up for that.

March 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
^ I have tried to double pump, but the suction is terrible in one side, so I just gave up trying.

I'm keeping up with demand (thank God) and pumping about an extra 3 oz per day, which I hope to use when his need increases. It's going a lot better than I had anticipated!

March 22nd, 2012, 05:23 AM
hmm. i would try to figure out why the suction stinks on the double pumping. glad you are pumping extra! i found (as did a lot of women) that it got a bit harder to pump around 6-8 months, seems to be a common issue but we all survived it

March 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Jenny - good to see you again (from the Jan DDC). I'm glad it's going well for you back at work. I'm going back in a week and a half. Not looking forward to it...

The one thing that I can add is trying to relax at night, along with drinking lots of water. Lay down to nurse and take it easy. That always helped me to relax a bit and keep things flowing!

March 22nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
^ I'll try, though adding work back into the mix has sort of reduced my ability to relax much, lol! I'm so sorry you have to go back soon. Enjoy your last days off. I have been sooo sad this week; it's real hard to leave him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search