Just had my baby

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78
  • 1 Post By sunnyday3
  • 1 Post By lunarmagic

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2012, 04:41 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
still in the hospital. Baby #10 was born at 8:36 this am. I am really looking for sme advice, because even though it is my tenth baby bf'ing has never worked for me. The lactation consultant came in this am and just gave me a bunch of papers and left after telling me what not to do. One nurse was pretty helpful, but she was a labor and delivery nurse, so not on this side of the hospital now that I'm in "recovery".

Since they moved me over here I have seen the nurse twice for a total of 5 minutes since 11am.

The baby won't latch, won't wake up even enough to try. All day. So he really only got a few drops this am that the nurse hand expressed because he won't latch. I would really like to get this down this time, but they are definitely NOT helpful here at all.

So as usual Im feeling frustrated and worried about him getting nothing and already feeling like the previous nine times.....a failure.

Can anyone give me some hope that this will work. What do I do/ Is he gonna be okay if he doesn't nurse some soon? The only thing the nurse keeps sticking her head in the door for is to ask if he has nursed yet.
#12 is on the way
March 19th, 2012, 04:45 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hi Urban Momma! I recognize you from the NCB board, congrats on #10. I would find your local La Leche and call them ASAP. They are free and most will come to you, especially in the hospital, also do not be afraid to ask for another LC (if there is another) or that one to come back. That is just ridiculous. Can any of the nurses help you?
marieks85 likes this.

March 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First of all congrats on the baby! I completely understand your frustration. When I was in the hospital I felt like everyone was saying what I was doing wrong and nr showing me how to do it right. At my hospital there were several LC on duty throughout the day so maybe you can ask a nurse to get one for you and explain your fears about not being able to nurse with her. My hospital was very pro bf'ing so even though I wanted to gve DS formula at first because he want latching correctly they kept encouraging me just to keep trying. What worked for us was he skin to skin and expressing right into his mouth. He developed jaundice pretty quickly so he fell asleep pretty fast too But luckily at only a few days old their stomachs are really small and try do not need much. Hang in there mama! I'm sure other ladies will have more advice and congrats again!

Thank you babydoll213 for my siggy!
March 19th, 2012, 05:33 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
This isnt a big hospital. The night nurse told me the LC will be back in the morning.?? wow, there's only one? I expressed my concern too her and she told me that because he is a bigger baby (only 9 lbs) that he is okay to not nurse for 12-24 hours. ?? She said she is going to check his blood sugar and as long as its good then he won't have to have supplemental formula. I got him to wake up but he had no interest in nursing at all. Now he's back to sleep. ughhhh.
#12 is on the way
March 19th, 2012, 05:45 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
call your local la leche!!!!!!

March 19th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
First, congratulations! Second - don't give up! Your baby is still small and won't need milk just yet. By the time he gets it, your milk will be in. Sometimes it takes babies - and mommas - time to learn. Keep asking for a nurse or lactation consultant who will help you to be successful. Don't be afraid to keep asking for someone who you feel comfortable with. (what's the worst they can say? That you wanted to be successful at breastfeeding?!)

It takes sometime to get baby to latch - strip him down, do lots of skin to skin contact, and just wait. He'll get it and you will, too.
Purrrrrrr likes this.

March 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!

Yes, I do think you'll get more info and help from the LLL than from whatever your hospital has there. That's just ridiculous.

I wouldn't worry, at birth they are very sleepy and have such tiny tiny stomachs, and your milk isn't in yet. Yes the colostrum is great if you can get it into him, but I think he'll be fine. Lots of skin to skin. Sleepy babies are adorable but so frustrating! I think once he gets over the first day drowsiness he'll probably wake up and be looking for your nipple.
Purrrrrrr likes this.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
March 20th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Congrats! Birth must have been quite an ordeal for him, so I guess he figures it's nappin' time. I agree with all the other momma who said lots of skin to skin. Stick him up under your gown by your chest and hang onto him. Your ta-tas are right there and it's all nice and warm. He'll start to smell you and get hungry.

Is he not latching correctly or not latching at all? When your milk changes from colostrum to milk, try to squirt him and see if he's willing to take a few swallows.

I'm just guessing though, 'cause my son latched on and wouldn't let go for what seemed like 3 months.

My Boring Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search