Want to breastfeed - pumping question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sunnyday3

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Hi ladies, I am 5 months pregnant and I'm just starting to get curious about breastfeeding. I definitely want to do it and I'm also taking a 1-year maternity leave so being at work isn't an issue for me.

Basically everyone talks about pumping and I'm just curious how necessary is it. Do I need to buy a pump or can I get along without one? Are they mostly just about convenience? I.e. I want to go out and do something for a couple hours and baby gets hungry so SO can feed him with a bottle, for instance. I don't want to spend a lot of money on something I won't use much.....

I'm just left wondering, women breastfed for hundreds of years without fancy technology like breast pumps and freezers for storing - sooooo .. I guess I'm just asking you to try and convince me why I need one.

Pinterest
Flickr
March 22nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I would say that in your situation, you may only need to express milk for when you wanted to leave your baby for a few hours and you could probably just use a hand held manual pump.

I have a friend who has had three babies over the last seven years and hasn't stopped breast feeding since she started when her oldest was born. She has never had to pump - the littler they are, the more they stay with her. It's all in how you decide to manage things. I have to work, so I pump a few times a day.
Blue-Jay likes this.

Last edited by sunnyday3; March 22nd, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
March 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like the pp I have to work so it was definitely worth the money for me to get a nice double pump. But even without that I would at least get a single electric but that's me. I don't feel comfortable nursing in public so if I ever want to leave the house for more than an hour I take a bottle (or nurse in the car just depends what were doing). Also they can help if you're struggling with supply at some point or just need a break in the middle of the night! I also used mine in the beginning when I was engorged and having trouble with clogged ducts.

Just my 2 cents!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
March 22nd, 2012, 09:22 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Pumps can be useful. If you want to go out somewhere or want to have breastmilk for the baby at night, but would like your DH to feed the baby. And if you're having problems with supply (you get sick and dehydrated, your cycle comes back and affects it, etc) you can pump after the baby eats to increase your supply. You might also want a pump for milk for baby cereal, sippy cup practice, and emergencies.

There are manual pumps you can get that would probably work better for your situation rather than the electric double pumps that cost 200+.

My Boring Blog
March 22nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used a pump in the beginning only because Nicholas had nipple confusion because of getting bottles in the hospital. Once he learned to latch on my breast, I havent used the pump since. I stay home with him also. I'd say dont get one unless you find a reason later to need it.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

March 22nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I agree with previous posters. I have an electric double pump because I have to go back to work, and I want my baby to have exclusively breast milk. However, even if I were staying home, we are at 7 weeks pp now and I desperately want to get out of the house and go on a date with DH and talk about something besides baby poop. We are going to have sushi and see a movie this weekend. There's no way I could do all this without having pumped a supply ahead of time so a sitter can feed him.

Also, when DS was 2 weeks old, he slept for 6 hours without eating once. That was 2 missed feedings, and my right breast got so engorged that the nipple flattened out and he couldn't latch on. Without a pump to empty it out, I would've been in crisis and probably would have ended up with mastitis (got a clogged duct as it was).

I think they're useful, and as SunnyDay said, you don't have to drop hundreds; just a handheld manual should suffice for your purposes. If you find you need an electric later, you can always invest then.

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search