Holy ouch i think i had a blocked/clogged duct...?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
Wow i woke up this morning with massive pain in my left breast. Half of it was so hard even after i nursed my son on that side. It was so painful and nothing helped to relieve the pain. I kept putting my son to nurse on that side a much as possible all day (luckily he has been nursing a lot because i think he's going through a growth spurt) and finally in the early evening it just suddenly felt better! He nursed and fell asleep but kept sucking in his sleep, when he fell into a deep enough sleep that his head pulled away i noticed my breast was soft again!!! I was so happy i almost yelled out but had to contain myself as to not wake him up! Now my question is how do i prevent this from happening again?! That was torture!!!!

April 19th, 2012, 05:13 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
do you pump? i found all of mine were related to pumping and not fully emptying the breast. taking lecithin supplements can supposedly thin the milk a little to prevent it from happening.

April 19th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I very rarely pump, i don't even remember the last time i pumped, well besides yesterday during my failed attempt to relive my achy boob! It was just so random!

April 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had something really similar a week or so ago - it was like half my boob was blocked, it was awful and completely unlike the other blockages I've had. There was even 1 nursing session that felt like razors were slicing through that entire side. Then it was magically gone.

Nothing I normally do for a block worked either - I did compression massage, hot water bottles, nursed nursed nursed....it was odd. The only thing I can think was that it might have been related to wearing an underwire bra?

Anyway no advice since nothing worked for me, but I totally feel your pain!!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

April 19th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
The only thing I can think was that it might have been related to wearing an underwire bra?
I thought of that too but i haven't worn one in months. All i wear are nursing bras and I only have one underwire one but it's so terribly uncomfortable that i never wear it. This is why i was so baffled that this happened because it just came out of no where and i didn't think i did anything to trigger it. Ehh well it's gone now and hopefully it doesn't happen again! Thanks for your responses ladies!!

April 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
oh yes! a sports bra or underwire bra. I think the pain thru the nipple was the dried milk coming thru. It is hard stuff!

April 19th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I think the pain thru the nipple was the dried milk coming thru. It is hard stuff!
Ahhh i'm STILL having that, i though that might be the culprit!

April 22nd, 2012, 12:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DD for some reason won't really nurse when we're out, even when she was under six months. She was just so intrigued by everything, so I would actually take one of her diapers and put hot water in it because they absorb so much and would put it on my breast. Then I would pump and then put her to nurse. This was normally nearing her bedtime so it worked out in that order. Otherwise, I did the same thing you did just try to get her to nurse as much as possible.
April 23rd, 2012, 08:13 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh I'm dealing with this now. I have been trying to relieve it all weekend. I thought my boob was all better but then it fills up so fast and then its hard and achy again. I hope this goes away soon.
April 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by katylady View Post
Ugh I'm dealing with this now. I have been trying to relieve it all weekend. I thought my boob was all better but then it fills up so fast and then its hard and achy again. I hope this goes away soon.
i posted the info in another blocked duct thread last week, have you tried breast compressions? i get in a very hot shower and then start at the base of the breast and press very very hard, working my way towards the nipple. Generally i will see a white dot on the nipple and that is the dried milk and i push it out like squeezing a tube of tooth paste and then the milk usually flows, but i keep doing the compressions because there is generally more milk behind there that needs to be pushed out.

April 23rd, 2012, 03:55 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took a shower but was more focused on just expressing my boob. After I posted I feed dd while on all fours and it worked. My nipple isn't sore and my boob didn't engorge an hour after feeding like it had over the weekend.

Thanks for the tip. If it happens again I know what to do.
April 23rd, 2012, 05:16 PM
glad it is better!!!

April 23rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
Quote:
Originally Posted by katylady
I took a shower but was more focused on just expressing my boob. After I posted I feed dd while on all fours and it worked. My nipple isn't sore and my boob didn't engorge an hour after feeding like it had over the weekend.

Thanks for the tip. If it happens again I know what to do.
Feeding the baby on all fours? As in hands and knees? Is this a suggestion for relieving blocked duct? Lol sorry im imagining myself on all 4's feeding dd. =) and then imaging dh walking in on me!!

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

April 24th, 2012, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug06 View Post
Feeding the baby on all fours? As in hands and knees? Is this a suggestion for relieving blocked duct? Lol sorry im imagining myself on all 4's feeding dd. =) and then imaging dh walking in on me!!
yes, i think i suggested this maneuver in another thread last week

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search