Losing my supply

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By promises1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I haven't posted in a while but I'm still BFing and pumping while workin full time. I was on spring break from the 9-13 so I BFed DS the whole 9 days only missing a couple feedings which I pumped to make up for.

Before that I'd already started pumping 3-4 oz less which I attributed to DS eating throughout the night again because I used to be so full I'd pump 5-7 oz after nursing him in the morning.

Since going back from break I've only been pumping 8-9! He drinks at least 12 and most days 16. I always pump past when the milk is flowing and power pump for 50-60 minutes twice.

Thi evening after getting home from work Carter would NOT latch on. All he did was scream. He's way past the days of comfort sucking and cluster feeding. If the milk doesn't come out pretty much immediately he gets fed up and quits.

So I had to supplement and now he's in bed so I'm pumping to try to make up and increase supply. I have barely gotten over 1 oz! I've been pumping for almost an hour off and on.

I tried reglan after calling my obgyn but it made me feel terrible. I ordered mothers milk plus already but it's yet to arrive. I already take fenugreek and blessed thistle.

I'm at a loss and at 5.5 months I'm only half way to where I wanted to make it. I miss the newborn days where I could just let him hang out latched on and that would help. He's way too busy for that now!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
April 26th, 2012, 04:36 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
have you checked your membranes and other pump parts? could you be getting your period? that can cause a temporary drop in supply. are you drinking enough? i would aim for 100-200oz/day. i found when i drank mothers milk tea, 4-5 cups/day i pumped 2-3 oz more. i always struggled to pump enough and pumped at home and on the weekends/days off to make up for the missing amounts. Have you read the 3 day nursing sabbatical in the stickies?

April 26th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I second the tea!! Drink 5 to 6 cups and take the fenugreek too. I'm stressing already that I may lose my supply at some time. Dd is almost 4 months. Good luck to u!

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

April 26th, 2012, 10:57 AM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hang in there Katie! You are doing such a wonderful job BFing and pumping while at work. It takes so much dedication to do what you are doing. Try not to be discouraged. Any amount of BM is beneficial and 5.5 months is awesome for first time Bfing.

I also pump at work and I am always 3-4oz short for the next day. I have to add in an extra pump session before bed to make up the difference. These LO just need more when it is in the bottle because I have no problem when BF on my off days. I would recommend continuing what you are doing feeding/pumping wise and increase water intake and try the mother’s milk.
bmarti07 likes this.

April 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
I know rice cereal pretty much does nothing for nutrition, but I had to put a bit of cereal in her bottles for daycare just to make it stretch when I got AF. It was either that, or supplement which I am determined NOT to do. I use More milk plus. LOVE IT. It's absolutely disgusting but a few hints, put the 1 mil under your tongue for as long as you can stand it and swish with 1 oz of water. Other than that follow the directions and take it every 6 hours. Also don't abruptly stop taking it. Take off a dose and see if your supply decreases if it does add it back, if it doesn't take another dose out and watch for a decrease.

April 26th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Got the more milk plus today but it's in pill form? hoping to see some improvement by Monday!

Yeah I do fine when I'm home with him but pumping keeps going downhill. I will be replacing membranes too. Also I'm going pump every night and in the mornings on my off days.

I just feel like its harder cause I can't really make him nurse like I used to. He's so busy playing and looking at everything. I always nurse him every 2 hours during the day and he never acts like he wants to that early.

Thanks for the advice! I am going to try whatever to make it as long as possible!

Last edited by katiep726; April 26th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
April 26th, 2012, 04:41 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
have you tried nursing him with zero distractions? (dark room, laying down, etc)

April 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest nursing without distractions as well. If I lay down in a dark room with my DD, she will nurse better and longer than if I tried nursing in the living room where her sister is making a racket.

Have you tried oatmeal? I personally notice a big difference the days I have it. I try to have it for breakfast most days (baked oatmeal, amish oatmeal, regular - so many ways!). I don't pump so I can't give you amounts, but my breasts are fuller and DD is more satisfied it seems.

I tried pumping with my older DD and never could get more than a couple ounces each session. After a while, it got harder and harder to even get one ounce! My body just did not take to the pump at all. I was able to nurse my DD fine though- she gained a bit more slowly but still gained and was content.

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!

April 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah at night he still gets frustrated and I don't turn any lights on.

I'm not a big oatmeal fan but I was looking at the recipes sticky and I'm gonna make some monster cookies this weekend.

April 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
promises1 Re: Losing my supply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hang in there Katie! You are doing such a wonderful job BFing and pumping while at work. It takes so much dedication to do what you are doing. Try not to be discouraged. Any amount of BM is beneficial and 5.5 months is awesome for first time Bfing.
I agree with this whole-heartedly!

Sorry you're going through this. I know how stressful/heartbreaking it can be! With my dd I worked and pumped and lived "paycheck-to-paycheck" so to speak. I was always trying to eek out enough for the next day. It seemed like once I started giving solids also, that my supply really tanked even though I tried to pump more. I ended up having to supplement at 9 months. I was really dissapointed when I had to do that but it was almost a relief. I pumped as much as I could and nursed when I was with her. She would have to have 1 bottle of formula a day on the days that I worked. I did continue to nurse her though until she was 16 months old.

It is hard when they become distracted. I don't really have any good advice for that. It also sounds like he likes the immediate fast flow from the bottle. Maybe you could start off with a bottle and take the edge off his hunger and then switch to the breast? Don't know if that's a good idea or not. It might make him mad!

I would try the advice from the pp's but in the end, if you do end up having to supplement at some point, it's not the end of the world. Don't beat yourself up! I know that's easier said than done. I hope things work out though!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search