Needing some encouragement

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ratladee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Veteran
I am completely exhausted!! My DS is 3 months and nurses every 2 hours (sometimes more) in the middle of the night. Sleep deprivation is catching up with me and I feel like I just wanna give on BFing some days. How did you make it through?
June 7th, 2012, 06:59 AM
ratladee's Avatar Madison Marie, My Sweet P
Your baby is probably going through a growth spurt. Have no worries. BM Digests in like 90 minutes so it's nautral. My advice is to sleep when baby sleeps during the day if you can. Also, if you can drag out the daily feedings to maybe 3 hours instead of 2, he will get more at one time and be satisfied longer. This too shall pass. Can you co-sleep? Then all you would need to do is latch and fall back asleep! Good luck, don't give up! It's all worth it in the end. Think about it... would you rather get up in the middle of the night and go straight to him and nurse? Or would you rather go to the cold kitchen, make sure a bottle is clean, measure formula, heat it up, walk back in, all with a screaming baby?? Nursing is easier! <3
sugarloafbaby and Dixana like this.

June 7th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
At last resort maybe pumping some and having your SO feed baby a couple time so you can get some sleep. I'm not sure how I made it through. I can't remember. Memory loss comes with sleep deprivation! Lol

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

June 7th, 2012, 02:09 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
My DD was an awful sleeper, i just kinda adjusted i guess. I would try to nurse your LO as much as possible during the day and especially before bed. You can also try giving some pumped milk before bed too.

June 8th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD was like that for months and months too. This will sound silly, but I found that simply ACCEPTING that she was going to wake up often and that I was going to be tired helped tremendously. It sort of made me give myself permission to be tired and just relax when I had the chance.

Some other options - you could try block-feeding at night, like do 2 feeds on one side so the baby gets lots of hindmilk. Try to cluster-feed before bed. Cosleep with baby - my 9-month old will sleep a 4-hour stretch beside me but if he's in his PNP will wake up after 2 hours.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

June 8th, 2012, 08:11 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
yes, cosleeping makes a huge difference.

June 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
Cosleep ing definitely helps but it's a habit I wish I hadn't started. My dd will NOT sleep by herself. Period. And now dh won't even consider letting her sleep alone. Ugh.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

June 8th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug06
Cosleep ing definitely helps but it's a habit I wish I hadn't started. My dd will NOT sleep by herself. Period. And now dh won't even consider letting her sleep alone. Ugh.
Me too!

June 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How would you feel if you stopped BFing? I always think of that question when I feel discouraged. I know that it would sadden me because I love to be able to do this for my baby and I fought so hard at the beginning.

Try not to get too down, and frequent this group often. I know it's hard, but you won't be sleep deprived forever.

June 10th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday3 View Post
How would you feel if you stopped BFing?
I think I would feel like a terrible mother!!! And I don't want to feel that way. I'm hanging in there!! I think I'm being a little selfish. It's not about me anymore. It's all about him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlebug06 View Post
Yeah my dh is completely against co-sleeping for that very reason. His nephew co-slept and still likes to get in bed with his parents and he's 12!!
June 10th, 2012, 07:29 PM
brightmommy's Avatar Veteran
Maddie did this for 7.5 months! I agree that accepting it was a big help. It kind of gives you some emotional/mental relief if you just accept that it is going to happen and plan accordingly.

Co-sleeping was what worked for us. I just laid on my side facing her and would let her suck away while I slept She would spend about 80-90% percent of the night latched on. As soon as I would unlatch her awake she came! Needless to say, co-sleeping was the only way for me to get sleep. We did this for 7.5 months until it stopped working for us and we moved her to her crib. She is a great sleeper now.

Just hang in there, and do what works for you! You know you and your baby better than anybody.

June 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well honestly when my girl started doing this again I just adjusted to it, and took a nap during the day. It sucked, but I got used it.

I don't really have any other advice to add to what has already been said, good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search