Breastfeeding Interview HELP!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By *~*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Hello All! I am a mother of a 3 year old little girl and breastfed my daughter up until the day before her 3rd birthday. I am a student and am currently taking an English class. For this class I have to write a paper on a topic of choice and include interviews in my paper. I chose to write about breastfeeding and since I do not know anyone who is currently breastfeeding I need to search for someone to help me out with this assignment. This is where you come in. Please help me out by answering a few questions! You can answer 1 question or all 14! Anything will help! Thank you.

Questions:
1.Tell me about yourself including the ages of your children and if you breastfeed or bottle feed.

2.Tell me about your own experience breast/bottle feeding?

3.What made you decide to breast/bottle feed?

4.(Bottle) If you did not have to return to work would you have breastfed your baby?

5.(Breast) Do you feel pressured to breastfeed? If you did not breastfeed do you feel as though people would look down upon you for not breastfeeding?

6.(breast)Have you ever been judged for breastfeeding in public? e.g. dirty looks, rude comments. . .
7.(bottle)Have you ever been judged for not breastfeeding?

8.Why is breastfeeding important/not important?

9.In your experience, what keeps most women from breastfeeding?

10.What helps them overcome those obstacles?

11.Do you think breastfeeding and raising children prevent women from being as successful in the work world as men?

12.How can moms get dads more involved in feeding time?

13.Would you be open to going to work while your husband stayed at home and cared for the kids?

14.Do you have any other comments you would like to include?

Thank You!
July 17th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Questions:
1.Tell me about yourself including the ages of your children and if you breastfeed or bottle feed. Trey (2 1/2 years) & Olivia (7 1/2 months). Trey was bottle fed formula & Olivia is breastfed.

2.Tell me about your own experience breast/bottle feeding? Trey was bottlefed, because I didn’t understand how it all worked. I thought his cluster feeding was a sign of me starving him! I got worried, gave him formula, and of course he seemed more satisfied...so it was all downhill from there. With my second, I was more educated, so aside from the formula she had while in the NICU (they were feeding her breastmilk & formula mixed, by tube for the first 10 days of her life), she's been on breastmilk ever since. I work, so I nurse when I'm with her & pump when I'm not. It's going great, and I don’t have plans to stop any time soon.

3.What made you decide to breast/bottle feed? Just the nutritional benefits. My oldest was a sickly little thing & because I knew Olivia would be in daycare too, I wanted to give her as much protection as I could. It hasn’t really helped, though. but I think that's just daycare for ya!

4.(Bottle) If you did not have to return to work would you have breastfed your baby? I did return to work, after just 8 weeks. I pump at work, and I nurse when I'm with her. I will admit, it's much harder, having to pump 3x a day, 5 days a week...all the pump parts washing & bottle washing is annoying.

5.(Breast) Do you feel pressured to breastfeed? If you did not breastfeed do you feel as though people would look down upon you for not breastfeeding? No. Formula feeding is much more common, around here. People are shocked to find out I "still" breastfeed. They always ask if she has teeth (she doesn’t) and say, "oh, THAT’S why you're still breastfeeding"...as if 1) her lack of teeth has made working full time & pumping, any easier and 2) I plan on stopping when she gets teeth.

6.(breast)Have you ever been judged for breastfeeding in public? e.g. dirty looks, rude comments. . . No. Not at all. If I nurse in public, I use a nursing cover.

7.(bottle)Have you ever been judged for not breastfeeding? My oldest was formula fed & no...i don’t feel like I was judged for not breastfeeding.

8.Why is breastfeeding important/not important? It was important in the beginning to me, for its nutritional benefits. NOW, I can't imagine stopping because she likes it too much. (haha) It would feel cruel to wean her at this age. She is very much comforted by it, especially at night time & first thing in the morning.

9.In your experience, what keeps most women from breastfeeding? I would say 2 things: 1) Lack of knowledge (almost EVERY woman I know IRL that attempted breastfeeding in the beginning, says exactly what I said, "I tried to breastfeed, but I just wasn’t making enough".) 2) in the US, its the lack of maternity leave. Most women have 6-8, maybe 12, weeks off...usually it's not paid, so it forces women to return to work more quickly (that was my case. I had 12 weeks unpaid, I went back after just 8 weeks). Not everyone has a job that is as understanding as mine is. I am able to use my breaks and lunch break to pump - not everyone is that lucky. I also rent a hospital grade pump for $65 dollars a month...not everyone can afford that.

10.What helps them overcome those obstacles? I guess more education on breastfeeding would help, but if having to return to work is one of those obstacles, I'm not sure what can be done to overcome it. I mean, you have to pay your bills, so what's your option?

11.Do you think breastfeeding and raising children prevent women from being as successful in the work world as men? I think in most cases, the child rearing falls mostly on the women. If baby gets sick, "momma" leaves work & stays home with baby. At least, that’s how it is in my house. I can see how that would affect a woman's success in the work place. Breastfeeding - I'm not sure how that would affect the your workplace success, unless of course, your pumping breaks are a source of contention for your boss & only allows it because he's required by law.

12.How can moms get dads more involved in feeding time? In my experience...you can't. Now that Olivia is older & eating solids, he helps with that. He also makes her baby food...which is pretty cool.

13.Would you be open to going to work while your husband stayed at home and cared for the kids? No. My husband loves our kids and they wouldn’t be in any danger...BUT...I could easily envision the baby staying in her jumperoo, while wearing the same diaper for 8 hours & my 2 year old being given a box of cereal and put in front of the TV all day. Lol

bmarti07 likes this.
July 17th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I enjoyed reading your experiences and thoughts. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post! : )
July 17th, 2012, 11:11 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1.Tell me about yourself including the ages of your children and if you breastfeed or bottle feed. Nicholas is 13 months old and is breastfed.

2.Tell me about your own experience breast/bottle feeding? Breastfeeding was extremely difficult at first. He had complications at birth, and the nurses at the hospital gave him formula without my permission. I had to pump a lot and use nipple shields until about 4 months when he finally started nursing "normal".

3.What made you decide to breast/bottle feed? I wanted to do what was best.

4.(Bottle) If you did not have to return to work would you have breastfed your baby?

5.(Breast) Do you feel pressured to breastfeed? If you did not breastfeed do you feel as though people would look down upon you for not breastfeeding? No I didnt feel pressured. I actually felt like I was pressured to formula feed instead of breastfeed. Everyone kept saying its so much easier and stuff.

6.(breast)Have you ever been judged for breastfeeding in public? e.g. dirty looks, rude comments. . . On occasion. But not often.

8.Why is breastfeeding important/not important? Formula is not natural which is why it causes upset stomachs and reactions in babies. Of course some women cannot breastfeed and thats fine. I just wanted to do what was best, and natural, for my baby.

9.In your experience, what keeps most women from breastfeeding? Society. Work. Lack of knowledge.

10.What helps them overcome those obstacles? Finding other moms that breastfeed. Having someone to talk to that understands is a huge help.

11.Do you think breastfeeding and raising children prevent women from being as successful in the work world as men? No

12.How can moms get dads more involved in feeding time? I think dad just has to wait until baby is old enough for solids. However in the middle of the night, he can change the diaper, then mom can feed

13.Would you be open to going to work while your husband stayed at home and cared for the kids? Personally, no. I love being home with my son.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

July 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Hi, I used the internet to do an interview for my bachelor's thesis.

Questions:
1.Tell me about yourself including the ages of your children and if you breastfeed or bottle feed. I'm breastfeeding a 4 yr old and a 14 month old (more accurate ages in my sig).

2.Tell me about your own experience breast/bottle feeding? My first was fairly easy to breastfeed. The biggest problem was that for the first 6 weeks or so she'd have nursing marathon lasting for hours. I was pretty sure that she'd eventually nurse enough to get her fill so I never supplemented. The second was amazingly easy to nurse. A bonus of nursing through a pregnancy was that my nipples were quite used to wear and tear and it didnt hurt at all with her.

3.What made you decide to breast/bottle feed? I didnt know until I started to come to mother forums that people chose to bottle feed. I thought people only did that when they couldnt breastfeed for some reason.

5.(Breast) Do you feel pressured to breastfeed? If you did not breastfeed do you feel as though people would look down upon you for not breastfeeding? No one pressured me to breastfeed. There might have been some looking down if I hadnt breastfed since it is the norm around here. There are plenty of bottle babies though so it's not odd to bottle feed.

6.(breast)Have you ever been judged for breastfeeding in public? e.g. dirty looks, rude comments. . . Nope but in here nursing in public isnt all that odd and no one uses covers. At the most a cloth/scarf to cover a newborn.

8.Why is breastfeeding important/not important? I started from the school of thought that breastfeeding is normal and bottle feeding is secondary. Then as I read/learned more about breastfeeding I started to get quite passionate about it.

9.In your experience, what keeps most women from breastfeeding? Insufficient support, hands down!

10.What helps them overcome those obstacles? Support isnt always easy to provide but education can help too. Sometimes it seems that any excuse should be a reason to supplement, small baby, big baby, fussy baby, sleepy baby etc. A lot of women seem to be surprised by how time consuming breastfeeding is in the beginning.

11.Do you think breastfeeding and raising children prevent women from being as successful in the work world as men? No I wouldnt say so.

12.How can moms get dads more involved in feeding time? I think there is loads of other things for dads to do than feeding time. Babies are exclusively breastfed for such a short time anyway.

13.Would you be open to going to work while your husband stayed at home and cared for the kids? With the current nursing demands of my little one that'd be hard to arrange but if it was our only option it could be workable. I continued breastfeeding my older one despite going back to work.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
July 17th, 2012, 01:00 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
1.Tell me about yourself including the ages of your children and if you breastfeed or bottle feed. My daughter is 30 months on the 28th and my son is a month on the 20th. Both are breastfed.

2.Tell me about your own experience breast/bottle feeding? With my daughter it was VERY difficult at first but once we figured it out it was smooth sailing. With my son it has been pretty easy so far, minus a few little bumps in the road.

3.What made you decide to breast/bottle feed? I don't know, really. I wanted to see if it worked for us then my stubborn side kicked in and I refused to give up. I almost did many times though. With my son it was a no brainer.. I had already breastfed my daughter for 2 1/2 years.

4.(Bottle) If you did not have to return to work would you have breastfed your baby? -

5.(Breast) Do you feel pressured to breastfeed? If you did not breastfeed do you feel as though people would look down upon you for not breastfeeding? Nope. My mom bottle fed, family bottle fed..it was the norm to bottle feed. I'm the odd one

6.(breast)Have you ever been judged for breastfeeding in public? e.g. dirty looks, rude comments. . . I have not yet. I expect it may happen eventually, but so far people don't even glance over.

8.Why is breastfeeding important/not important? It's better for my kids health and immune systems. My daughter is also has serious dairy problems, so it helped her immensely.. she never had trouble with my milk, even when I personally had dairy. Plus it's free. Can't beat free baby food!

9.In your experience, what keeps most women from breastfeeding? Honestly? I think many just give up too easily. Oh, my supply is too low..I hear that WAY too often. It may be true.. it was with my mother. Nothing kept her supply steady so she gave up with both my sisters (I was never breastfed) at 3 and 6 months respectively. Then there's the latch problems, the colic/reflux/gassiness that makes them think baby can't tolerate their milk.. It's just frustrating. Then, of course, there's the stigma placed on breastfeeding.. Moreso after 6 months to a year. It's near taboo here to breastfeed after a year.

10.What helps them overcome those obstacles? Lactation consultants, friends, family.. a support system!

11.Do you think breastfeeding and raising children prevent women from being as successful in the work world as men? Absolutely not. My kids will be breastfed for what.. a total of 6 years max of my life? I'll be a stay at home mom until they are in school..so when my youngest is 5 or 6 (I think 5?) so I'll be a SAHM for 7 years. Then I can work just as well (if not better ) than men.

12.How can moms get dads more involved in feeding time? My SO will sit and talk to our son, stroke his head, give him a kiss, etc when he is feeding. I don't think it's necessary for a dad to be involved in feeding, though. I will be pumping at some point and allowing SO to feed our son via bottle though so they can bond in that way (SO wanted to) and so we know our son takes bottles for when we go somewhere on those rare occasions... if we do.

13.Would you be open to going to work while your husband stayed at home and cared for the kids? Not really. If I needed to I'd do it, but I'd prefer not to. My kids are too young to be away from me for very long..our son mostly. He needs to be fed often. I'm not sure SO could handle both of them anyways. Not for more than an hour max.

14.Do you have any other comments you would like to include? Don't think so

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
July 17th, 2012, 04:16 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
1.Tell me about yourself including the ages of your children and if you breastfeed or bottle feed. Allison 2.5 and JR 12 weeks. I breastfed Allison until she was 21 months and will breastfeed JR until he weans.

2.Tell me about your own experience breast/bottle feeding? With Allison I struggled the first 4 months of her life, I was extremely ill (emergency c-section with a scar from hip to hip, unable to do more than hold baby for 8 weeks, she had jaundice, then I developed jaundice from gallstones, had my gallbladder out, another 4 weeks of nothing more than holding baby) and she ate every 2 hours around the clock for 45+ minutes. I stuck it out because I was too stubborn to quit! This time around, I'm having no problems!

3.What made you decide to breast/bottle feed? My mom breastfed me so that's how I wanted to feed my kids.

5.(Breast) Do you feel pressured to breastfeed? If you did not breastfeed do you feel as though people would look down upon you for not breastfeeding? No, it was my choice and my support team (DH and my parents) would have went along with my choice, whichever it might have been. Anyone besides them didn't matter to me!

6.(breast)Have you ever been judged for breastfeeding in public? e.g. dirty looks, rude comments. . . I've gotten a few comments/looks because I don't use a cover but I stand my ground and tell people it's my childs right to eat.

8.Why is breastfeeding important/not important? For me, it was important from a health stand point because my mom had been through breast cancer and I have immune system issues. Also, it was quicker than fixing a bottle! My daughter was a little high needs

9.In your experience, what keeps most women from breastfeeding? Lack of support/education on the benefits.

10.What helps them overcome those obstacles? Sharing breastfeeding knowledge in a non-judgemental way, making breastfeeding the norm, and giving support to breastfeeding moms.

11.Do you think breastfeeding and raising children prevent women from being as successful in the work world as men? No, many women manage both parts off their lives (kids and work) with no problems or choose to be SAHM for a few years while their kids are small.

12.How can moms get dads more involved in feeding time? With my daughter, my husband did the diaper changing before she ate when he was home. After she started solid foods, he did the feeding because she refused to take food from me. This time around, my husband takes care of our daughter's needs so I can focus on our son at feeding time. It takes some work but if the dad is interested, he will find a way!

13.Would you be open to going to work while your husband stayed at home and cared for the kids? I'd love to but I'm afraid that wouldn't work very well. He's too much like our daughter so they get into a battle of wills/power struggle and our son has never had a bottle, so he might starve!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog

Tags
bottle feeding , breastfed baby , formula fed , interview , working mom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search