22 month old BFing and tooth decay

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2012, 12:50 AM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
I just want everyone's opinions, Layla is 22 months old and still happily nursing very often. All of my 5 children had at this age.
Her top 4 teeth are decaying, mainly the 2 sides, even though she doesn't have many sweets, no juices, brush her teeth often. The dentist said it didn't look like she developed enamel on those teeth
I took her to the pedi-dentist. They want to fix them, which they require her to be sedated. Which means no fluids for 12 hours before. 2 of the 3 women I talked to at the office basically told me she shouldn't be breastfeeding that I needed to stop now. I was so sad, which then turned into anger.
She's no where near ready to wean. I'm now brushing her teeth more often through out the day. If she can make it a little older they won't completely sedate her.
Any opinions?
July 21st, 2012, 07:02 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
How would they fix it?

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

July 21st, 2012, 02:08 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't understand: how is breastfeeding to blame for lack of enamel? My teeth had very porous enamel when they came out and started decaying right away. It's just the way they were, not because I was breastfed or not (I wasn't).

Can you ask her ped about it? And how old is 'older'?

July 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM
They want to put small fillings on the front 2, cap the 1 side front and either cap or fill the other side one.
Breastfeeding has nothing to do with lack of enamel, they are just saying BF-ing makes it worse. I've read a ton and nothing shows that BF-ing causes decay like bottle feeding does.
I've talked them into fixing them in office in September, when she's 2, under mild sedation, instead of an I.V and full sedation.
I'm still BF-ing and brushing multiple times a day.
July 29th, 2012, 02:02 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
no, no reason to stop bfing, that is ludacris!!!!!!!!

July 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I thought so too. I was so upset, when basically everyone at the pedi-dental office told me I needed to stop bf-ing asap!
July 30th, 2012, 05:03 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i think there is an old school thought that breastmilk can decay the teeth, but in recent years (decades?) it has been shown to do the opposite. DD's dentist warned us not to nurse after brushing teeth, but i knew i was going to wean her shortly after (she was almost 3) that i just brushed it off and nodded. She also made a snide comment about extended nursing. I had to just remind myself that not everyone is as awesome as our family dr who bf for 4+ years!

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/tooth-decay/
sunnyday3 and CalledBlessed like this.

August 7th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
My DD is 21 months and BF'ing and has a spot on the tooth just to the left of her front tooth. I had DH take her to SS's last dentist appointment and show the doc. They said it was a "leopard spot", to keep brushing, and bring her back when she's three. I did get her a little battery operated toothbrush, which has made brushing her teeth much much better.

My nieces and nephews all had rotting incisors and they were all let to fall asleep nursing. I nurse DD to sleep, just try not to let her sleep with the nipple in her mouth. She just needs saliva to rinse her mouth.

Check out the BF'ing after 1 year subforum with this same question. You'll get very informed interesting answers there too!

[url=http://lilypie.com]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search