Newborn Breast Feeing Question

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2012, 01:17 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Hi ladies I hope you can help me out here. I know I have other kids but this is the first one who is actually breastfeeding successfully, so far. So my question is how long do newborns usually nurse for? My lil guy can go from 5 mins to an hour some times. It depends on him. I'm trying to just go with the flow. I'm using a phone app I found to help me keep track of feedings. It times which breast and for how long, it also helps me track his diapers. I know the only way to tell if he's getting enough is to keep track of his diapers, but I want to make sure that he's nursing long enough when he does nurse. I don't want the poor little guy to not get enough. I'm hoping we can continue to bf, it would be great if we can. Especially since I wasn't able to do it with my other kids. Thanks in advance.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

July 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lily was always a quick nurser. Some infants are just really efficient nursers form the start. I don't think Lily ever nursed longer than 30-45 minutes and sometimes I'd nurse her on both sides in 10-15 min. He may be comfort nursing when he's nursing longer.

It's totally normal for it to change though. I don't think we leveled out to a consistent amount of time until she was a few months old.

You're doing a great job and just keep going with the flow!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
July 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
It depends on the baby. My DD was a lingerer, she would nurse every 2 hours for 45-90 minutes. It made my life easy because I couldn't do more than feed her for the first 3 months (recovering from 2 surgeries). My DS is Mr. Efficiency- he only eats every 3+ hours and it takes him no more than 25 minutes (that was at the beginning, now he's down to 10-15 minutes at 3 months).

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
July 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Don't forget that a baby will also nurse for comfort as well - so those short short feedings might not even be about food, but the comfort he's getting from it! Just nurse whenever he asks to nurse, don't worry too much about timing how long it is, and make sure he's making enough diapers. They do so much growing when they are little, too, that he might want to eat half an hour after he just nursed for an hour, and that's normal!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

July 27th, 2012, 05:30 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
my DD could nurse for an hour at a time. I posted a really good article earlier in the week on breastfed baby timeline info, please read that and Kelly mom on what to expect in the first weeks, months, etc. Just get comfortable and nurse the baby as much as your LO would like. If you cannot just sit (with older kids) try finding a carrier or wrap you can nurse in hands free. and congrats on successful breastfeeding.

July 27th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies. I guess he's feeding just fine then. I noticed he's averaged out to 15-20 mins per session. He has an occasional 5 min session but those tend to be fairly close in time to a longer session. I guess that's his comfort nurse to fall asleep.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

July 28th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Thanks for the replies ladies. I guess he's feeding just fine then. I noticed he's averaged out to 15-20 mins per session. He has an occasional 5 min session but those tend to be fairly close in time to a longer session. I guess that's his comfort nurse to fall asleep.
Good news then. Just to add, just have yourself open to changes. There are times when babies wanted more or less, depending on how the feel or their conditions. I hope you get to nurse him for at least two years. Mine lasted until he reached 3 years old.
July 28th, 2012, 07:05 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
15-20 minutes is fast, imo, for a 1 week old (if i am reading your siggy right). DD would nurse 30-45 minutes until she was several months old. As your LO gets older, the nursing sessions will become more efficient. Also, the more he nurses, the more milk you make, so sometimes, especially during growth spurts, they will nurse A LOT more (cluster feeding it is called) to increase your milk. This is not you not having enough milk, but them increasing it during times when they are having a growth spurt.

July 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
You think so? I too thought it was too fast. Could it be because he falls asleep and then refused to wake up? I've tried all the trick the kid won't wake. I'm also having issues burping him. I always do the sideways hold burping first then move to the shoulder or laying him on his tummy while I rub his back. It's really hard to get anything out of him. But he is making regular bowel movements after feeding. The ped thinks he's getting enough since he hasn't lost weight and is making enough dirty diapers.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

July 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Neither of my kids burped at all. One would spit up a TON after eating but that was, I think, due to an overactive letdown. Once I solved that issue, the spit-up became a lot less. But I never stressed about burping, they just didn't need it!

My son is 10 months now, and he was a really quick nurser early on. There weren't any marathon nursing sessions that were an hour long, that's for sure! If he's gaining, I wouldn't worry too much! Good luck!

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search