Confused.. help??

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By THE angry uterus
  • 1 Post By one.juniper

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
one.juniper's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to one.juniper
Hi ladies I was wondering if I could get some guidance?

My little guy is 5 days old and was breastfeeding really well.. my milk started to come in on Day 3 but yesterday my breasts became really engorged. At first I thought the issue was my engorgement so the nurses gave me some advice on how to help him latch better through that by expressing some milk first and such and that seems to have helped him latch on better to my swollen breasts.

However.. now I don't know whats going on. He'll latch and eat for about 5-8 minutes then break off and not want to get back on even though there's plenty of milk. It seems like maybe my let down is a little fast and is overwhelming his little mouth because the milk practically gushes everywhere. I've tried switching back and forth between breasts, as well as burping him or just letting him rest for a few minutes when this happens and that all seems to help a little but he's definitely eating for much shorter periods of time then he was a few days ago (15 minimum per side then vs. like 5-10 per side now).

My concern is that he's not getting to the more fatty hind milk. Should I be worried, is there something I can do to help with this issue or is it even an issue?

Pinterest
Flickr
August 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just keep letting your milk run into a towel or something until they are softer and don'y switch from side to side until the one side is empty. This can increase your supply and cause more overflow issues. You might want to consider block feeding too where you feed of one breast only for a 3-4 hour block of time before offering the next.
KimiB likes this.
August 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
Ok I will try what you say. I do have question about block feeding, if the breast I'm not feeding from for those hours becomes really engorged is it ok to pump from it to relieve that pressure?

Pinterest
Flickr
August 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
It is probably just the let down, i would pull him off, let it flow into a towel or burp rag and then put him back on.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

your body will balance out your supply, it generally starts with an oversupply right after birth.

August 4th, 2012, 02:37 PM
We're doing better today, thanks so much for both your help!
THE angry uterus likes this.

Pinterest
Flickr
August 5th, 2012, 05:37 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
fabulous! and it is only going to get better and easier.

August 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad to hear you are doing better. Being engorged sucks
If its ever really bad I always found it soothing to get in a hot shower and massage them.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search