breastfeeding / pumping could really use some guidence

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM
lthomas's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to lthomas
While i am still attempting to get her on the breast full time i am pumping in between. Having her on a syringe for the first week and then a bottle with a very small nipple is not too bad. The problem that i am having now is that she will take the breast for about 5 minutes each side but i am supposed to top her up with a bottle afterwards. I keep getting told to subsitute her with formula but if i can pump enough i will give her that. The last couple of days my left breast feels like it is going to explode. I have tried hot compresses and massaging it before pumping but even afterwards it still feels like that. I have been putting lanolish on it and it helps for a split second. Can anyone give me suggestions on how i can get my left breast to stop hurting like the dickins.
August 4th, 2012, 01:12 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
why are you supposed to give her the bottle? did I miss some of the story? why is she being supplmented? sounds like you have a blocked duct and the milk is backed up.

Plugged Milk Ducts | Ask Dr. Sears®

and the last part is what worked for me, after using a heating pad and then getting into a very very hot shower

" Try a pressure massage on the area of your breast that is swollen and painful because of a plugged duct. This may help to loosen the plug. With pressure massage, you do not actually move your hand over the skin as you would with a normal massage. You simply press more and more firmly with the heel of your hand to move the plug in the duct down closer to the nipple."

August 4th, 2012, 04:53 PM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes, working the clog out of the duct will really be helpful, and it's necessary so that you can avoid mastitis. Let your little one nurse on that side as much as you can both tolerate, as babies are way more efficient at removing milk. Good luck!

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
August 7th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Lala78's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree that letting your baby nurse as much as possible is best. Your milk has what the baby needs. If the baby is taking formula, that is milk that is not being removed from you. I'd say let the milk that was custom made for your specific baby fill her little belly up.

[url=http://lilypie.com]
August 8th, 2012, 03:02 PM
MommytoCS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Can you express milk and give it to her using an SNS (supplemental nursing system) instead of formula? You use it while she's latched on so she'll get milk from your breast and the SNS, which will continue to stimulate your milk supply.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search