FTM w/ a few questions

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Things are going pretty well, we still have a shallow latch but she seems to be producing plenty of both poopy and pee diapers. While at Summer's 5 day check up I talked to the pediatrician about my concern about our latch being shallow and she assured me that if Summer is peeing and pooping like she's supposed to and that things are not sore on my end that things should be ok with her current latch.

Anyhow, a few things I'm curious about. Summer has been eating just about every hour, once in a while she will hit the 2 hour mark, but she only eats for 20 minutes at a time and hardly ever takes the second boob. (once in a while she will, but only for about 10 minutes) Does this seem ok? Is this enough time for her to be getting the hindmilk?? When she takes the second boob for only 10 minutes should I be starting with that boob next feeding or going back to the "first" boob?

Also, just out of curiosity, do you wear nursing pads all day? It seems as though I don't leak too much, but I'm afraid not to wear them. Is it common to wear them at all times?

And one more, does your baby always burp after a feeding? I can hardly get her to burp. She doesn't seem to need to??

August 5th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just to answer the last two....once my supply evened out I didn't need the pads anymore. I wore them for a few days just to be sure, but never wear them now.

and Zoe would take FOREVER to burp. But I would get her to do it otherwise she'd puke. I called it super burping, her ped said it was unnecessary, but I disagree(I do that a lot). Maybe she doesn't take on a lot of air when feeding so she doesn't need it.

Last edited by ZoeChloeMommy; August 5th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
August 5th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
[QUOTE=aubers68;26364635]

Anyhow, a few things I'm curious about. Summer has been eating just about every hour, once in a while she will hit the 2 hour mark, but she only eats for 20 minutes at a time and hardly ever takes the second boob. (once in a while she will, but only for about 10 minutes) Does this seem ok? Is this enough time for her to be getting the hindmilk?? When she takes the second boob for only 10 minutes should I be starting with that boob next feeding or going back to the "first" boob? I would start on the second boob when she only feeds for 10 mins or so on that side. If she only takes on side, start on the opposite side.

Also, just out of curiosity, do you wear nursing pads all day? It seems as though I don't leak too much, but I'm afraid not to wear them. Is it common to wear them at all times? With both of my kids, I've worn them all the time. I'm wearing some now I leak a lot. I'll have a letdown if it's been "too long" between feedings, if I hear a baby cry (doesn't have to be my own", etc. It's just easier for me to keep wearing them. If you don't leak much, you might not have to!

And one more, does your baby always burp after a feeding? I can hardly get her to burp. She doesn't seem to need to??[ I rarely got a burp out of either kid. I stopped trying with both of them after about 2 weeks, because they just didn't need to!/QUOTE]

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

August 6th, 2012, 05:35 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
we always did one boob per feeding. I wore breast pads more because my nipples looked HUGE while nursing and DD never burped.

August 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
Ok. You will know that she is getting hindmilk if her poop is yellow/orange. If it is green, then she's not getting enough, but the amount of time you describe sounds about right to me. She's only a week old now, so her tummy is about the size of a walnut. She can't eat that much.

If she eats 20 min on one side and 10 on the other, I'd start her off on the 10-min side again the next time.

I wore nursing pads all day and all night for the first 2 months, because I leaked like crazy. DS is 6 months old now, and I never need them anymore. If you're not leaking and you you feel comfortable going without, that's great!

It took DS forever to burp, and somtimes it didn't happen. If she's not showing signs of discomfort after a non-burp session, then I wouldn't worry much.

Congratulations on your new little one!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search