Wwyd?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By RachaelDMommaTo3
  • 2 Post By PaxtonsMom
  • 1 Post By JenIam2
  • 1 Post By mgm78
  • 1 Post By Celry
  • 1 Post By ZoeChloeMommy
  • 1 Post By Blue-Jay
  • 1 Post By THE angry uterus
  • 1 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are in the process of eliminating dairy and soy as it seems baby has allergies. He is still very gassy and fussy about 50% of the time it seems (some times its good, then it gets bad... We are probably dealing with oversupply issues too though). He has had only a few blood streaked diapers in the past 48-72 hours, they are starting to change from dark green to green-yellow, but still mucousy. The LC has offered to collect as much of the special hypoallergenic dairy free formula she can find if we would like to use it to give his gut a 'rest' to heal up faster and hopefully that will help with his gassiness, fussiness, and discomfort.

I'm really ambivalent about giving the formula. It would be for about 12 hours or how ever much she can find, and I would have to pump in that time. Since I likely have an oversupply issue going on, I could pump every 3 hours instead of the every two he nurses and hopefully cut back on some of my supply. So there really are benefits to it, but I still don't want to do it. Oh, and he hasn't taken a bottle yet, although I do plan to return to work, so he will need to eventually do that anyway (and the LC is giving us the new Calma bottle to sample for her!).

Anyway, would you stick it out since he's shown a lot of improvement, or let his gut rest?

Thanks for the replies!
August 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
Honestly I would stick it out. It seems like when women really want to do BFing but start trying formula and things like that, they often end up giving in and sticking with the formula. I knew 100% that I wanted to BF with my DS2 and I never gave him a drop of formula. He had severe reflux issues and sensitivities to different foods, so I had to cut things out, but it was totally worth it and he adjusted just fine!

August 6th, 2012, 02:03 PM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you think that eliminating dairy and soy will do the trick, I'd just stick with breastfeeding. As someone who transitioned from BFing to formula, yes formula fixes some challenges with breast feeding but it also introduces all new ones - I'd hate to see you ALSO deal with a reaction to the formula.

That being said, I have a friend that no matter what was eliminated, the breast milk just did not agree with her daughter so she ultimately did have to stop. It sucked, but it was for the best for both of them. I wish you and your little man the best of luck!!!

August 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Veteran
I BF but also supplement as I'm currently not producing enough for my guy. I'm also in the same boat as you with possible dairy issues. In our situation we are doing formula and me changing my diet. Yes, it is working in our situation but in the end you have to do what is best for you and your family.
THE angry uterus likes this.

August 6th, 2012, 02:25 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
well, if there is a soy and dairy issue, how will formula help it? aren't most soy or dairy based?

I dunno, i would work on your diet and slowly add things back in. Check the ingredients in anything from a box, soy is hidden in a lot. Also, gluten can be an issue too.

here is some good advice from my local La Leche leader

Eating Dairy-Free?

August 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't go the formula route either. I had to cut out all dairy while I nursed my first two and they still can't drink cows milk at almost 3. They can only handle just a little bit of cow dairy in the form of cheese or yogurt, so we don't eat much of it. As others said, most formula is soy and/or dairy based. I don't see how switching to that would help. Personally, I think that continuing to nurse would be better as long as you are cutting out the foods he can't handle. It's not easy in the beginning, but gets easier as you figure out what you can and can not eat. Good luck!

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

August 6th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The formula is nutramigen. Its soy/dairy free and hypoallorgenic. Its suppose to give his tummy a rest just so it could finish healing faster. I'm pretty militant about my BFing and at almost $25/can for the nutramigen I wouldn't be switching. I got the calma bottle and also some preemie nipples so he wouldn't get a fast flow and get used to that...
August 6th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I supplemented when dd was first born. That was a formula we had tried, but she refused it. It smells awful!!!!

I think you should do what you feel is best for and your LO. Good luck & keep your chin up!

August 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
That's hard; DS had a cow's milk allergy that was undiagnosed for 5 weeks, and he spent those first days screaming. I was pretty sure that was not how a newborn was supposed to act! Anyway, I cut out dairy from my diet, too, and he started recovering almost immediately. I know it takes a while for your breastmilk to clear up, but I think I'd stick with it. Your oversupply will work itself out when your body realizes how much he needs. I wouldn't risk the complications of nipple confusion (I had to go back at 6 weeks, and introduced a bottle at 5, and he did get confused and we had a hard going for a couple of weeks). If his little tummy is starting to heal, and he is starting to feel better, I would ride it out. But my LO didn't have bleeding, either. So in the end, you should do what you think is best and what feels right to you; rely on your instincts! ((hugs)) I hope he feels better real soon!

August 6th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ugh! I wish this was an easier choice to make! He did fairly well today. His poop was even mostly yellow at one point, then it went back to green, mucousy, and it looked like it had a some blood in it too. Its seriously like we take two steps forward and then one step back. Tomorrow is the only day we can do this since this is the only day DH has off this week until next tuesday.

I've never had issues like this really before. #1-3 I had no problems like this, except with maybe oversupply. #4 we had problems, but I thought it was just reflux and in part it was. When we tried to switch him to cows milk he didn't do well and we had to put him on rice milk for a bit. This one has been by far the most challenging baby I've had in regards to BFing!

I've been off the dairy for a 8 days now, and off the soy 4 days. I too have read it can take a long time for it to get out of my system, and then just as long to get out of baby's and possibly as long as SIX WEEKS!
LindseyE117 likes this.
August 7th, 2012, 05:23 AM
yeah i would give it 10-14 days of no dairy. also, the green and mucousy poop could be more related to too much fore milk. have you tried block feeding?
LindseyE117 likes this.

August 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
JesusisKing's Avatar Veteran
My 2nd child had an allergy to milk protein. I cut out dairy and it worked wonders for her. It's just really a pain to watch, since sooo much stuff has it in. I think I held out till like 7 mo. Good luck! She outgrew it by 2 yrs. thankfully!
August 17th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We "tried" to give the nutramigen formula, but DS refused to eat it (oh, bummer! lol) But to make sure he wasn't rejecting the bottle vs the formula, we later gave him a bottle expressed mama goodness, and he sucked it down. (yes!) We haven't offered a bottle since. BTW, DH says that the calma nipple is great for breast fed babies!

We are still having issues though, so now we have cut out dairy, beef, soy, and are eliminating ALL beans. Still working on the hindmilk/foremilk imbalance too. Stool specimens have also been collected and sent. I just want to make sure he doesn't have anything else medically going on at this time. Sigh.

Seriously! This is my fifth breastfed baby, and he's very lucky for it or I probably would have quit a long time ago! This is so discouraging. I'm going to an ILLL meeting next week.
August 18th, 2012, 05:42 AM
hang in there! Gluten would be one of the top ones i would eliminate before beans and beef. You can get gluten free oatmeal, eat rice, quinoa, etc, that are not gluten. There are a lot of gluten free options too-- cookies, crackers, pizza, pasta, just check boxes for hidden soy. Soy, dairy and gluten are the top offenders. Hang in there and keep us posted! is it silent reflux and not a bm allergy at all?

August 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Beef is tied in with the dairy since the protiens are simila which is why no beef. Otherwise I rarely eat it anyway. My next big protien offender was the beans I increased. Is gluten a protien? I was asking about wheat since its also in everything, but she didn't think it a likely culprit.
August 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
wheat gluten is all protein, but wheat itself is not a protein in the sense that beans or meat is. There are so many alternatives out there, depending on where you live may be easier or harder to find. We have coconut milk greek yogurt, rice milk yogurt, coconut milk ice cream, etc. So many options.

August 18th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't have a lot of options, and what we have has one allergen or another.
August 20th, 2012, 06:10 AM
making stuff from scratch is your best bet.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search