pumping vs block feeding

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not doing well with this block feeding concept. Its hard for me to remember to do it and when to switch. DS nurses every two hours except at night where it generally spaces out more. Instead of block feeding, will nursing one side and pumping the other every feeding work even if it was for a short block of time like 10 min? That would make the breast emptier when I went to feed off it 2 hours later allowing him to get more hind milk... wouldn't it?
August 13th, 2012, 05:38 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
why would you pump the other side when you nurse? this is the opposite of block feeding, where you nurse same side consecutive feedings to reduce supply and get more hind milk. Do you think there is oversupply or not enough hind milk?

August 13th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only ever feed one side at a time, but I make too much milk and he has a nasty hind milk/fore milk imbalance which is causes us problems. I was wondering instead of block feeding and NOT pumping, if I pumped the side I wasn't feeding every time I nurse if I would be emptier when it was time to feed so he got the hind milk as well as the fore milk. I can't remember when to switch with the block feedings for some reason. I forget and am all like "Dur.... did I feed twice on this side or not? How much time do I have to nurse before I can switch to the other side??" Plus by that time I'm empty and he gets mad cause he isn't getting any and the other boob is engorged and hurting.
August 13th, 2012, 12:15 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would feed one side 2 times in a row. you can wear a bracelet or something on the side to nurse on next, or keep a log. If you pump, you are encouraging your body to make more milk and just making the issue worse. You can pump PRIOR to feeding on the side you are going to feed on to get some of the fore milk out, but that is a pain and he has to wait. It will even it self out, you just have to be patient. For the engorged side, just hand express to relieve the engorgement.

August 14th, 2012, 03:31 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
I would feed one side 2 times in a row. you can wear a bracelet or something on the side to nurse on next, or keep a log. If you pump, you are encouraging your body to make more milk and just making the issue worse. You can pump PRIOR to feeding on the side you are going to feed on to get some of the fore milk out, but that is a pain and he has to wait. It will even it self out, you just have to be patient. For the engorged side, just hand express to relieve the engorgement.
I ditto completely. I had strong letdown and oversupply problems and pumping made it oh so much worse. I only pumped for a minute or two before nursing to make it easier for Merrik to latch on (and tame the letdown!) and try to bear the engorgement on the other side, pumping occasionally for a minute here and there when it became too much. And it took almost 4 months for everything to start evening out.

Hang in there, I know how hard it can be! *hugs*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search