ready yo give up :(

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 21st, 2012, 05:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what else to do anymore and am at my wits end with no sleep.

DD2 is 3 weeks and a few days old. She nurses really well for the most part once we figured out my oversupply and forceful let down. The last several days she wakes up at night every hour and half to two hours which means NO SLEEP for mommy! Last night, I was walking into the walls because I was so tired.

I think we are dealing with some day/night confusion issues. LO has a fairly normal morning. Up around 5am, goes for a walk with DH and he gives her a bottle. She goes down for a nap after I feed her at about 7:30. She will sleep until about 10am (3 hours from whenever I feed her). She generally eats every 3 hours and will nap inbetween. In the morning, I can get a longer awake period. However, in the afternoon she only wakes to wake up to eat. I've tried to wake her every 2 hours and offer, but if she isn't hungry it just makes her mad. Then, she gets too much foremilk and has a belly ache. Usually she will eat last at 7pm and will be ready for bed around 9pm. The thing is, she wont eat again until 10:30-11pm. Then she's up at 12, 1:30, and 3:30 (give or take 30 minutes). Last night, she woke up at 1:30 and she was fussing, but her eyes were closed. I gave her the paci and she went back to sleep until 2:30. At 2:30 she actually at a decent, not just a snack. So I'm wondering if she's just waking up wanting to suck, but not hungry.

Usually our night time nursings are...latch on, snack for a bit, then get pissed about milk being there and start screaming.

I don't know what to do. I'm exhausted. My husband helps with that 5am feeding so I can sleep generally from 3-7am semi-uninterupted. However, I desperately want a nap and would love to feed her around dinner time, take a nap, then feed her again at bed time. I have an older DD and it makes it impossible to really nap during the day.

I am at the point of wondering if I give her a bottle of formula before bed, at that 7-ish feeding if it would hold her over later. I know its silly, but I'm desperate. Today its just me and the kids...DH left at 7:30am and he will be home to eat, but has a company event and wont be home until probably 11pm.

I thought it might be a growth spurt, but wouldn't she increase feedings around the clock? I just don't know what to do. I'm so tired. I nursed my older daughter and she was sleeping one 6 hour and one 4-5 hour stretch very early on. I know I have plenty of milk (been dealing with oversupply & doing block feedings). I just want sleep! ONE 4-5 hour stretch would be lovely! Then DH could still do his 5am bottle. I'd feel semi-human and functional.

August 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I'll give my 2 cents. I gave in and gave formula at night thinking it would help her sleep longer.
It ended up making it worse. The formula caused bowel and stomach issues. It takes longer to digest.
If I could go back I would never have given formula. It didn't give me any more sleep.
We ended up with such a problem we had to go to gastro dr and it took months to get back on track.
You'll also stop producing enough milk if you don't pump during the times you are formula feeding. This time during your nursing stage is crucial for developing that supply/demand relationship.
I'd do many things different if I could but the top thing i'd do different is never touch formula!
This stage will pass. If you think she's wanting more sucking than milk at night I'd start looking into which paci she likes the best and which one stays in best.
My dd is 7 months and she's just NOW holding her paci in long periods on her own. =\

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
First off, CONGRATS! And ((hugs)) on being tired in the MOTN!

Instead of waiting for her to wake to eat at 10:30-11:00, have you tried a dream feed, where you wake her and feed her? Say, at 10pm, since that will have been 3 hours since her last feeding? If that doesn't work, maybe wake her ever so slightly at 10pm and offer her the paci? You could be right on her needing to suck, and not being hungry.
August 21st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamomofthree
First off, CONGRATS! And ((hugs)) on being tired in the MOTN!

Instead of waiting for her to wake to eat at 10:30-11:00, have you tried a dream feed, where you wake her and feed her? Say, at 10pm, since that will have been 3 hours since her last feeding? If that doesn't work, maybe wake her ever so slightly at 10pm and offer her the paci? You could be right on her needing to suck, and not being hungry.
Oh gosh. We too had the days and nights mixed up. I ended up waking her around 6 or 7 a few nights in a row to bathe her to awake her. I'm sure you can't bathe her yet but a wash clothe and stripping her down to wake her and wipe her down and do unbilical cord care? Then maybe she'll stay awake a while to get "tired".
It took me several days of bath routine to get jade on track at night. Plus it is always good to get a routine down anyway. oh and coffee for myself once a day helped me make it thru too. Lol. God knows how us women make it through all this stuff even after having given birth!

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 21st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I tried to do a dream feed the last few nights. She wants NOTHING to do with that. I tried offering to nurse and a bottle of pumped milk - nothing but an angry baby because she didn't want milk.

Doodle, I think you are onto something with REALLY waking her up. I got her in just a onsie and turned on the fan when I nursed her at 2:30 (After being awake for 2 hours), took longer to nurse her but girlie got a full feeding and has been asleep in her bed since (4:40 and counting). So maybe the key at night is to make sure she is stripped down to just a diaper while nursing...to keep her awake for a full feeding instead of just a snack.

It seems like our two big issues are:
1. She's a sleepy baby and isn't getting a full feeding
2. She's got her days and nights mixed up

August 21st, 2012, 05:10 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
are you cosleeping? that will make it easier with the night time feedings. And cosleeping is not just bedsharing, a bassinet, etc next to the bed is just as good. Have you tried swaddling? DD woke up A LOT and I went back to work at 5 weeks PP, so i am the expert on sleep deprivation. I would try to feed her as much as you can in the evenings, tank her up before bed. Also, can you pump and have DH do a nighttime feeding?

Hang in there! it will all be worth it, you just have to get past these first several weeks.

having days and nights mixed up is called reverse cycling, here is some info
http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling/

August 21st, 2012, 07:15 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
I've nursed my LO every two hours at night until 2 weeks ago so I share you pain about the lack of sleep

The thing is that the milk you produce changes as the day goes so it's normal that a baby cluster feeds in the evening/first part of the night. The milk is 'thinner' then (prime time for milk production is early morning).

Also, if she's too sleepy to get a full feeding, she might get slightly dehydrated which will make her sleepier and so on. I know it's a pain but I used to strip Merrik to his diaper before feeding him and try to keep him awake by tickling him and it would help with the frequency of the feeds.

But yeah, bedsharing helped a lot here in the beginning.

Good luck!

August 21st, 2012, 09:31 PM
We cosleep (still) and have since birth. Trying to work on that but dd is just now starting to eat baby food so she's still waking up hungry.
I can't bring myself to pump her full of cereal in a bottle or baby food at bed time to just get her to sleep longer. I've been encouraged to do that a lot but honestly I'm more comfy with her waking up bc I know she's still breathing that way and I wake up checking on her constantly anyway. =>
Off topic but I read an article about some discontinued formula that was really thick to make baby sleep longer. And I think there was some association with SIDS.
I'm not bashing moms for formula feeding AT ALL but I think a lot of bf'ing moms have been encouraged to give formula just to get baby to sleep longer. And as I think of it, mother nature made bm to last as long as it should in baby's tummy. There's a reason baby needs to wake about every 3 hours and a reason they don't need a "deeper" sleep. When you have a lighter sleeper baby, I think it's healthier and they are more alert to their surroundings and more like to wake before sleeping so deep that they stop breathing.

So on the upside, at least your baby is alert! And since you're bf'ing you are already taking steps that decrease SIDS risk.
It's SO hard at first but all worth it.
I'd honestly love love love to have more sleep at night now but jade doesn't sleep long stretches and I think my body and brain have grown accustom to it now =\ I'm a walking zombie. So I'm safe in the zombie apocalypse. =>

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

August 22nd, 2012, 04:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are not cosleeping. DD2 seems to sleep best in her crib, in her room. We have the pack-n-play in our room, but she wont sleep there longer then 10-15 minutes. And in our bed, I can't sleep. We also have a memory foam mattress and don't feel comfortable (no head control, and it forms to your body).

I kept her up a good bit yesterday and made sure she got good feedings. She slept a lot better. I woke her up at 10p and did kind of a dream feed. I heard her making noises, so I figured why the heck not at least try. She woke up at 1am and 4am. DH got her at 5:15 and of course she was kind of "off" and crying a good bit. I don't think DH realized she wasn't hungry and he kept trying to give her a bottle.

I'm tired still, but I was able to do the night time feedings without walking into the walls or falling asleep trying to feed her.

Oh, yes I did notice that she is getting a little dehydrated. her soft spot is indented the tiniest bit, but still has plenty of diapers. I'm keeping an eye on that.

I'm crossing my fingers that keeping LO up more during the day and making sure she eats a full meal will be our answers.

August 22nd, 2012, 04:51 AM
put her crib in your room then. this is your sanity! we used a snuggle nest for the first 4 months in our bed.

August 22nd, 2012, 05:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Dh won't go for that...I wish!

All our bedrooms are right next to eachother. So really walking a few extra feet doesn't bother me. When dd1 was a baby her room was upstairs so she stayed with us a lot longer. And she is still at 6 coming into our room most nights.

August 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
well, you will get significantly less sleep if she is not at arm's reach and you were complaining about lack of sleep. Just trying to help with a solution that most moms have felt worked for them. can you sleep in her room if you husband won't allow her in yours?

August 22nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know that it's tough now, but it does get better. You mentioned that your first baby was a better night sleeper-I honestly think that was pretty lucky! What you are experiencing now is probably closer to how most BF babies adapt to life outside of their momma. As baby gets more settled, you will be able to longer, and your sleep will be longer as well.

Hang in there! It's so worth it... I've been there (we also co-slept as many recommended) - it'll get easier. Also-there was a great link posted here not too long ago about what BF babies go through - hopefully someone will remember and we can link it again...

August 23rd, 2012, 04:15 AM
I think the article you are talking about i put in one of the stickies!

August 23rd, 2012, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We do have another bed that we could possibly use to cosleep if needed. DH said last night he thinks the crib mattress is too firm, but all of our other mattresses are either pillow top or memory foam. Her room wont fit our twin bed, but I suppose we could rearrange if needed. We will have to reassess in another week or so.

I do hope we reached a breakthrough. I've been keeping her up as long as I can during the day with as much natural sunlight as possible, making sure she gets a full feeding (with lots of singing, talking, and tickling), we tried the swaddle blanket again with some success, offering to nurse hourly during the day, skin to skin/cuddles as much as possible during the day, and I'm sure something else I've forgotten.

LO slept for 6 hours last night (bed at 9:30, up at 3:30am and 6am). She seemed much happier yesterday and so far today. Her BM's increased in frequency and amount. Same with her wet diapers. Her belly didn't seem to be hurting. I'm crossing my fingers we figured it out for now. Next week is back to school, so I'm sure that will throw us for a loop a bit.

Now, I just need to buy stock in diapers as often as I had to change her yesterday.

August 23rd, 2012, 09:33 AM
sounds like things are getting easier! did you look at the snuggle nest i mentioned?

August 23rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't looked at them in person. I'll check Babies R Us next time I'm over there. And maybe try to find one gently used (looks like you'd only use it the first few months or so).

It certainly would be nice between 2-6am. Now, the question is would 2 adults, a child, and baby all fit in the bed

August 23rd, 2012, 12:57 PM
we used it from 0-4 months (but my DD was really tiny). If it is a king bed, yes. LOL

August 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Try massaging her. I know DD had problems with constipation/gas and it really helped. When she had bad gas or couldn't go she would wake up every couple of hour. I also learned that when it was 12-5 in the morning I needed to get her from her co-sleeper, change, feed and then just let her fall back asleep. I made the mistake of talking to her the first few days and then learned to just let her be and she would fall back asleep. She'll still do that whole waking up in the middle of the night, so we just breastfeed and then let her try to go back to sleep. Of course this sometimes means she rolls on top of me and wants me to scratch her back but it works and I get some sleep so we indulge.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search