Pressure from DH/teeth woes/weaning

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 2nd, 2012, 07:50 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
Hey there ladies... I know I am not a regular here, I have not posted in quite a while but I was hoping to get some advice or support.

I have been nursing Avery for just over 12 months and I feel so proud I have made it past this milestone.

Our nursing relationship is not going so great. There are a number of things adding together that are making me feel like I should wean.

1) Since baby's top teeth came in she has been biting/scratching with her teeth a lot. Every single time she latches I get a nip and whenever I let down and she is sucking hard she scrapes really bad/leaves indents on my skin.

2) I am getting pressure from DH to wean. He is not very supportive and feels I should be working towards weaning given Avery's age.

3) I have yet to get my period back and we want to TTC soon.

4) Avery nurses ALL. NIGHT. LONG and part of me hopes she might sleep better if we wean.

So, anyways I am considering weaning. The thing is I really have no idea where to begin, she loves nursing and I nurse her to sleep for every single nap and bedtime, every night waking.

I guess I am looking for advice on where I should begin. Nap times, or night weaning?

Should I give her whole milk in a sippy, or try a bottle? (she has pretty well always been breastfed but takes water well in her sippy).

Any suggestions or weaning stories I would love to hear them.

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
September 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
Oh no! I'm reading your post and seeing me and my dd who is 7.5 months!!!
She's got one tooth on bottom coming in but I've already started getting questions from dh about when I'll wean her. =\ she goes to sleep nursing and nurses a lot during the night. And we cosleep. Dear lord I don't know how I'll wean her!

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

September 3rd, 2012, 04:43 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
you need to be very aware of your baby's latch and make sure they are latching on big and wide, even though they have been nursing a year, they can get lazy and then you'll get the teeth scrapes, etc.

As far as weaning, that is your decision to make. You can give milk in a sippy or bottle, whatever works best for you right now. I guess start with one feeding a day and gradually add one at a time? Ifyou are not ready then educated your DH On the benefits of extended nursing especially going into winter (cold/flu season). Also, my DD did not eat a lot of food until she was well over 1 year old, and bc of that i was happy she nursed for a long time.

September 3rd, 2012, 11:31 PM
Sorry no weaning advice here, I'm still nursing a 4 year old .

If you want to wean be sure that it is what you want to do and not something you feel pressured into. There are plenty of benefits for nursing beyond a year, numerous health benefits for both you and Avery.

As for the latch issue I find that in most cases that the kiddo fixes it herself. It may be just few days or then few weeks but they figure it out. I think that sometimes when the teeth come in that it messes with the latch a bit. Just last month my 15 month old had managed to scratch both areolas, I dont know what she did to do it, it didnt feel that weird until I noticed the pain. I just changed the nursing position so there wasnt any pressure on the scratches and they've both healed up fine with no new ones showing up.

a slight side note, wish i could snap a shot of how i am typing this. Have the little one wiggling in my lap and nursing while trying to type with both hands lol. Then again suppose it's not all that uncommon scenario around here.

ETA: I always wanted my kids close together so they'd be better friends but now I find myself really loving the 3 year gap. My big one was big enough so I didnt feel she got the short end of the stick and she really likes her sister and I see that they'll have a great relationship in the future.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Last edited by Fluga; September 3rd, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search