Scared to start solids

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Lsnmommy2011
  • 1 Post By angelsailor288
  • 1 Post By -Bailey-
  • 1 Post By mgm78
  • 1 Post By KimiB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2012, 02:50 PM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
DS is 6 months old now, and he is soooo ready for some solids (we haven't started yet). I'm so sad for two reasons. 1, it means he's growing up. 2. I am not ready to stop EBF. I know he's not going to, like, wean overnight or anything, but it meant a lot to me that he was growing and thriving from Mama's milk alone. And yeah, I'm a little scared that he's not going to want to nurse much.

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
September 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Veteran
My LO is 6 1/2 mos and he's been eating baby food for about 2 months and does not nurse any less, by any means!! I know all babies are different but solids hasn't changed his nursing schedule AT ALL!! Don't be scared! I know it means they are growing up but it's something new and exciting for him! I'm extremely nervous about the weaning process as well he's still nursing every 2 hours so he still wants mommy's milk just as much!
And I just wanted to add that I haven't started replacing a nursing session with food. If he nurses at like 11 then I'll feed him baby food at 12 (for lunch) then he'll nurse at 1, 3, 5 (not exactly to the minute but you get idea...) and then I'll give him baby food at 6 for supper.
MamaT3blessings and KimiB like this.

Last edited by Lsnmommy2011; September 17th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
September 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nicholas started around 5 months and if anything, started nursing more lol. Every baby is different. I actually found solid feeding a lot of fun. Good luck!
KimiB likes this.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 17th, 2012, 08:49 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was more excited to start solids because its exciting to me to see her experience new things. But the only difference we had was nursing to sleep was more like five minutes rather than 30 minutes to an hour. Which was extremely nice, I honestly started to hate nursing because of the bedtime session.

Just keep in mind that breast milk is still what they rely on for food and solids are just a bonus for the first year.
KimiB likes this.

September 18th, 2012, 08:45 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
you do not have to start solids. You can always feed him slushy frozen breastmilk with a spoon. When you do start, you can offer the breast first, so he is getting the breastmilk first and foremost. remember "food for fun until they are one" because breastmilk (or formula) should be their #1 source of nutrition until they are atleast one. I thought DD was ready for food at 4 months, held off until 6 months since their guts are so immature until at least 6 months, and then once we offered her food, she was not really interested much, she just wanted to play with a spoon
KimiB likes this.

September 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
I did a bunch more research and I think I'm okay with it now. I will nurse before every solids offering, so I'm sure it'll be just fine Thanks ladies!
angelsailor288 likes this.

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
September 20th, 2012, 05:59 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Look at it as a new fun adventure!
Now that Nicholas is over a year he points and yells "TAT" when he wants to eat something then yells MMMMM. Its sooo cute hehe

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

October 12th, 2012, 07:50 AM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
I just wanted to comment that I could have written this post myself! I am feeling the exact same way!!!

I feel like he doesnt need me anymore for nourishment once he gets solids. I feel like hes growing up, moving on. etc. I feel like I am not "all he needs".

I know its silly but I just wanted you to know that you aren't alone!!!

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
October 12th, 2012, 03:34 PM
I was afraid that starting solids would make my nurseling lose interest in nursing. Almost 4 years later she's still nursing .

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search