Nipple shields? Total confusion

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rhettsmum

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM
rhettsmum's Avatar Member
Ok, when my son was born 6 1/2 years ago, we had problems with getting him to latch right away. I figured out later I have flat nipples. There was no lactation consulant at the hospital but the nurse gave me a nipple shield & we never looked back. I used nipple shields the entire time he nursed and never had a problem with him getting enough to eat. Now with another baby on the way, I was looking at some bf tips to refresh my memory and I see all these articles about how terrible nipple shields are and they cause undernourishment, etc. Are they really that bad? I did try a few times to get him to latch without one, but it never worked and since using the shield DID work, we just kept on with that. I read that you can pump a bit before nursing to possibly elongate the nipple before feeding, but seriously, if we're out somewhere or for some reason she's screaming for milk, when would I have the time or place to do that? I had just been planning on using the shields the whole time again, but now I'm really upset & not sure what to do.
September 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Do whatever works for you, but i would try without a shield. I would even start going to some La Leche meetings now and talk to them about it so you have a support system and some help prior to the baby's arrival. Also, it may not be flat nipples, it could also be tongue tie. As far as undernourishment, some babies cannot extract enough milk with the shield on vs just the nipple on it's own, so for SOME it is not a good option and if they are not getting hte milk out efficiently enough, your supply can suffer. How is the hospital now on lactation support?

September 18th, 2012, 07:52 PM
We'll be at a completely different hospital that does have a LC on staff, and I know they have a breastfeeding class there once a month. I may go to that this month and next. I hadn't really planned on doing that, but with all this new info... I don't think my son had tongue tie, I mean the nurse gave me the shield after like ten seconds. I just never knew it could be an issue to use the shield all the time. And we never had any problems so I never brought it up to anyone I guess. He is totally healthy and never seemed like he wasn't getting enough to eat while nursing, was always in the higher percentiles for weight/height...
September 18th, 2012, 09:08 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used a shield because I had to due to nipple confusion. Around.. I think 3 or 4 months I weaned him off totally and it was great. Its soooo much easier without it.

I would say try without but if you need it, its not a big deal.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 19th, 2012, 04:54 AM
yeah, i would go to a breastfeeding class and just try to get some more info this time around. There are a lot of things to try before the nipple shield, BUT it worked for you and that is great

September 21st, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks, girls! I guess I was just feeling like I'd done something horribly wrong by using the shield the entire time. My plan (for now) is to go to a class, really get some serious help from the LC at the hospital, and if I end up using the shield, not feeling guilty about it
LOL
angelsailor288 likes this.
September 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM
sounds like a perfect plan

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search