Am i asking for trouble?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are into week 9 of breastfeeding. We've hit our ups and downs, but we're still nursing or doing BM 100%.

I've gone back and forth about nursing v. bottles at work (I nanny). It is 100% easier to give DD bottles. I can't relax enough to get a quality let down and we are "go-go-go" so its hard to ensure she gets a full feeding. Thus, the bottle is way easier I can see how much she's getting and the flow of milk stays consistent. It isn't dependent on my ability to relax. It just works out better.

So here's were I'm wondering if I'm asking for trouble...

I last nurse at 7:30 and don't nurse again until 1:30-2:30pm. I pump at 6ish am and again either before or after her 1:30-2:30pm feeding. Basically, I'm going 6-7 hours without nursing or pumping. I really want to switch to bottles only at work, but I don't want to mess up my supply. As it is right now when I pump, I get a total of 8-10 oz per day. DD only is drinking 3-4 oz of that. If I switch to bottles only on a routine basis at work that means I will be using 8 oz at the most for now. I will eventually switch to full time hours and need at least 3-4 bottles worth of milk.

Can I manage just pumping at 6am-ish, 2-ish, and 6pm-ish long term? Then nurse when we are at home or pump in the event of additional missed feedings? Should I pump more often while at home?

I really struggle with her getting a "full" feeding and I don't have a lifestyle where I can just sit and nurse while she snacks. I'm stuck in the car 3-4 hours a day not to mention caring for other children. I have to schedule her feedings to a certain degree which is my biggest struggle. If she snacks at 9:30 then she's hungry at 11. Then I have a screaming baby in the car at 12:30. Or if she snacks at 7:30, then I have a screaming baby at 8:30-9 when I'm getting the kids I nanny dressed and ready.

I'm rambling, baby girl is going to get BM one way or another after everything we've gone through the last 9 and half weeks its just figuring out how. My main priority honestly is making sure she gets FULL feedings. Breast or bottle I don't care, but the last 3 weeks back at work has been a bumpy road with feedings and she didn't gain quite as much weight as expected for her growth curve.

Plus, she is also a sleepy baby and if not a sleep baby she seems to have some difficulty with latching (breaking suction for various reasons) causing more full feeding/weight gain issues.

October 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I may be confused, so please correct me. Is baby going from 7:30-1:30 without feeding? That seems like a long time for a 9 week old, which may have to do with the slow gain. I think you need to pump/nurse more to keep your supply up.

October 2nd, 2012, 03:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No she gets bottles during that time . She usually eats at 9:30 and 11:30. She eats 2-2.5 hrs during the day and longer at night.

October 2nd, 2012, 03:28 PM
promises1's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For now it sounds like you will be able to keep up with LO but long term you will most likely not produce enough pumping only 3 times. You really should pump with every bottle LO has. For now you will have extra but in 2-3 months you will need those oz's. good luck!

October 2nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
^ what she says. To maintain your supply you need to pump for every skipped feeding. You can also cross post this on the pumping board, where they will be able to help you more.

I know for me, that my pumping output decreased significantly after the first 8-12 weeks and i struggled to pump enough for when i worked. I did it, but with a lot of extra pumping sessions.

October 2nd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's the problem and I keep going round and round. Nursing and pumping is too difficult at work. Bottles just work easier. Obviously, I'd have to do more pumping at home. I just don't know what to do :/

I guess I'd have to do some reverse cycle pumping??? 8-10 hours where I pump every 3 hrs?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search