I thought it would be easier by now..7 weeks

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Pixie Dust's Avatar Veteran
I'm getting discouraged

I have only been breastfeeding my son. I knew the first few weeks would be hard with learning to latch, getting a supply ect. I really thought by now it would be a lot easier.

He is wanting to nurse every 2 hours and it takes hime about 35 - 45 to nurse. He want to nurse one side for about 7 minutes and then switch sides for another 7 minutes. Then he goes back to the first side, fight and screams for a while and then will nurse for about 10+ minutes then we switch to the second side for another 10+ nurse.

I think he is wanting the foremilk and is getting mad when it is gone on each side. I have tried making him nurse on the first side longer but he screams and kicks.

The nursing every 2 hours is so hard. I really only have about 1 hour 15 minutes between actual feeding. I can't get to the grocery store and it is hard to pick up my kids some days. I dont feel comfortable feeding him outside of the house because of the way he screams during the feeding.

I really wanted to nurse him exclusively for the first 4 months but right now I just don't know if I can make it. Im so discouraged that I think it might be easyier to just switch to formula.

Any suggestions on how to increase the time between feedings and to make the feeding less of a screaming session?

Thanks!

Thanks Vicki... for my siggy!

October 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
It is hard. I know what you mean. It is hard to get anything done between feedings in the beginning because they nurse so often and for so long that you don't have much time between feedings. I hope some of the other ladies can help you out. It definitly is easier to switch to formula, but the breast is SOO much better for your baby. Remember that if you are stressed, your milk isn't going to let down as quickly and that may be why he is screaming because he isn't getting the letdown. Can you tell if he is gulping like he is getting enough milk? Don't stress about the time, just sit back and relax. This won't last much longer. I would say around 3-5 months nursing becomes easier than formula because they are going longer between feedings and you don't have bottles to wash :-)

I don't have any advice about the kicking screaming and switching so much. Most women nurse 1 side then the other and then the feeding is done, not going back to a side he already fed off of. Does he have a good latch? Is he a fussy baby? Could stomach issues be why he is kicking screaming and not that he wants to switch to the other side?
October 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hmmm. Not sure what to tell you. DD nursed every hour round the clock for a long time. What I would do is fine a baby carrier you can nurse in, some you can go out in public and no one would know you are nursing in as it is discreet. Our local La Leche does sling/baby carrier fittings, so maybe a group near you does, like a LLL or mom's club. I would also suggest going to a nursing group where you can find other moms, nurse in comfort and socialize at the same time.

October 5th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Could he have reflux?
I third a carrier of some sort it does help.

Dd2 is 10 weeks tomorrow and we still nurse every 2-2.5 hours. She doesn't nurse as long, but it feels like all we do is nurse some days.

Can you pump and give a bottle? It helps me get a break and feel comfortable out and about since I'm not a fan of NiP. It's my saving grace and helps us keep nursing.

October 6th, 2012, 03:56 AM
oh, you also have to think about the first few months as the "fourth trimester" and then around 3-4 months things really really change, the baby plays with toys, interacts more, notices the world around them, etc, they are much less constantly connected to you.

October 6th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think your baby sounds completely normal, but it would likely help a LOT by not switching sides so constantly. The hind milk is what will fill him up, it's fattier than the foremilk. He might get a little upset at not having the constant flow, but he's not learning to nurse effectively if you just keep swapping sides.

I second a carrier of some sort, he'll probably snuggle right in next to you while you go about your day! I like the Moby when they are little.

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for this beautiful sig!

October 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
MamaT3blessings's Avatar Super Mommy
I had LOTS of breastfeeding issues in the beginning. This is my first child so I had no clue what to expect. I wanted to switch to formula soo many times. I swear I had every single issue that you could possibly have. Heres my advice.

What you are doing is called block nursing. There is nothing wrong with switching sides and going back and forth. My LC had me do this to help keep baby from falling asleep. You basically go back and forth everytime the baby stops/falls asleep/etc. I think what you are doing is fine. Nurse him on the first side for as long as possible. Once he starts to fuss, switch sides. Nurse as long as possible. Once he starts to fuss, switch back. You do want to make sure he is getting the hindmilk, but as long as you are going back to make sure he emptied the breast then thats fine.

For me, nursing did not get easy until around 3 months. But honestly, nothing is easy. I have friends who formula feed and they have their own set of problems they are dealing with (Gassy, acid reflux, constipation, too much or too little weight gain, etc. etc) Breastfeeding is sooooo worth it!!

Increasing times between feedings is hard, and 2-3 hours is typical at this age. It's so hard when they are that little because they nurse soooo long

But I promise it gets easier. My son is 5 months. It used to take him 40 minutes to nurse, and now he gets it done in 10 minutes or less!

Keep it up mama! Your doing great!

Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!

***Ashley***
October 7th, 2012, 04:48 AM
block nursing is for oversupply correction or hindmilk/foremilk imbalance, i agree with feeding one side to get hind milk and fill baby up.

October 7th, 2012, 12:25 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I only nursed my babies on one side unless they were wanting more from the other side, but I usually nursed one side for awhile. They nursed frequently though, #2 nursed every 3 hours, #3 was every 2 hours and #4 was every hour for a long time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search