Increasing milk supply

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2005, 12:08 PM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
I've posted this on the bottlefeeding board:

Quote:
I'm breast feeding Ross and doing OK most of the time, but at his 5-6pm feed I find my milk is very low and I'm giving him 60ml of SMA Gold formula. Sometimes I have to give him formula earlier in the day if he's being very hungry - he's put on almost 2lb in his first two weeks but his weight has still not caught up to his length, he's a very hungry baby.

The formula is making him very gassy - not just wind but gassy in his stomach. He's brought up a comlete feed today after 60ml of formula. He also seems even more thirsty after the formula. He is gassy - like colic and still looking for more when he has had plenty of milk, so much so that we have been giving him boiled (cooled) water. This does calm him down.

- Can formula make him thirsty, he seems to get very dehydrated?

- Is SMA Gold the best formula for me to top up with?

- Would I be better to give him boiled water instead of formula when I have run dry?

I hope that I will be able to cut out the formula completely, I'll chat to the girls on the brastfeeding board too.

Thanks

Lynn[/b]
I have a breast pump and am going to start using it from tomorrow, I feel that I have plenty of milk overnight and first thing in the morning - I wake up soaked every night.

I thought I'd express after the early feed at 7am. Is this the only time I should express to start with or can I express again during the day? I really want to give up the formula I'm having to give Ross, as you can see above he's not enjoying it.

April 18th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to jmomtwo3
MY advise is STOP SUPPLEMENTING!!!!!!!!!! I made the same mistake in the early weeks with all three of my childen and resulted in a deduction in my milk supply and ultimately the failure of my bfing attemps with the 1st 2. With my third I was supplementing with 4-6 oz formula per day cause he seemed unhappy, unsatisfied, etc. Then I was told he gained 14 ozs in one week, which is more than they like, and they needed to see him back in 2 weeks instead of a month.

After doing some research I realized I was giving up as soon as they got to their first growth spurt! . Babies need to nurse OFTEN when they go through a growth spurt (ie 4-6 weeks and 3 months) to increase your supply. If you supplement with formula, you're only adding to the aggrivation. Your milk supply goes down, thier need for supply increases, and it just gets worse from there.

I'm now EXCLUSIVELY bfing my son, who is 10 weeks old. It was VERY rough from weeks 4-6, but with much determination (and nursing almost 24-7) it paid off!!! Best of luck to you.........

la leche league-increasing milk supply Here's a page with info on the growth spurt concept and ways to increase your supply.

Jesse(27) ~n~ Josh(29)
Lenae~7
Joshy~5
Nicholas~3
Gabriel~10/3/07

April 18th, 2005, 01:22 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Here's a few thoughts. It sounds like you have a great supply to me. Maybe you could pump in the mornings when your supply is really good to give you some extra breastmilk for the afternoons or evenings. Also it really doesn't sound like your supply is the problem. It sounds like your little guy just likes to eat a lot. He is not losing weight so you know that is a good sign. My ds Jeremy was the same way. He wanted to nurse all the time (I mean like every half hour sometimes!) If you are up for the frequent nursings then go for it. If not maybe you could try a pacifier. I know that a lot of bfing moms say this is a big no no but that is what I used with Jeremy because he would want to nurse so much.

I wouldn't give him water though. Breastfed babies shouldn't need any water. Also I know a lot of women that bf and supplement long term. I have had several friends who have had extended bf kids (bf till two years old) and supplemented. It doesn't have to be all or nothing.

April 18th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With my son I would pump first thing in the morning when I would start to hear him squirm around. I then bf'ed him after. My supply definitely increased, plus I had a bottle pumped for the afternoon

April 18th, 2005, 09:58 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

above is some info on frequent nursing.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...bal-rem_j.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks...fenugreek.html

above are some ways to boost your milk supply and to tell if you have a milk supply problem. fenugreek works really well!!!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/f...le-nursing.html

also your baby might be going though a growth spurt so check that out. good luck!!!
xoxo, Tiffany

April 19th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Regular
Send a message via AIM to jmomtwo3
I second the Fenugreek!! I used it in combination with Blessed thisle for 2 weeks and it did wonders ! You don't want to use long term, though, it can cause uterine lining deterioration. You can usually maintain your supply and d/c use once you're supply is where it needs to be.

Jesse(27) ~n~ Josh(29)
Lenae~7
Joshy~5
Nicholas~3
Gabriel~10/3/07

April 20th, 2005, 03:08 AM
lynn_uk's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks for all your suggestions. Ross has just spent the last 2 days constantly sleeping or feeding, and he has put on 8oz since last Friday (4 days) so I guess that's why I've been struggling.

Well, I started using the breast pump on Sunday evening, got 40ml on my first day and am now up to over 100ml ! I'm surprised it's working so well, Ross has not had any formula since Sunday and is doing much better - no gassy tummy, no pain. I'll get some of the Fenugreek and keep it for next growth spurt.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search