We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
Hi! I am hoping to get some help with this. I just had my 4th child and I tried to breastfeed all of them. With my first, he gave it up after 2 months and wanted NOTHING to even do with breastmilk. My 2nd I fed for 4 months and then had to start some medication that was not safe to take while breastfeeding. With my 3rd I breastfed for 5 months (with supplementing) but pumping became too much work and was not very successful when I returned to work. Now that I have had my 4th I REALLY want to get her to a year on the breast. I work full time so I need to pump. My questions are these and I should know but I don't. I was never a real big pumper-
1. How long does breastmilk last in the freezer
2. Can I eat Sushi while breastfeeding?
3. What about alsohol consumption? Do any of you ladies indulge in beer or wine once in a while? If so, do you "pump and dump". Any idea how long it takes the alcohol to show and to disappear from the breast milk?
If the alcohol still effects you, it will effect baby. Because it is in your blood stream, it goes into your milk. Therefore, there is no need to pump and dump(unless you are doing it to keep up with feedings) once it is no longer in your blood stream it is no longer in your milk.
A drink every now and then isn't going to hurt anything, as long as you are not drunk. They make strips to test your milk for alcohol, they are pricey. I've also seen if you are okay to drive you are ok to feed, i find this bad advice as many people don't know limitations.
Originally Posted by mgm78
I do not know the alcohol question, you can ask in the pumping forum or check kellymom.
You can eat sushi, you just cannot eat raw fish sushi in pregnancy for risk of food poisoning. Ok while nursing.
Breastmilk last, i think, 3 months in a regular freezer, 1 year in a deep freeze.
1. How long does breastmilk last in the freezer I have a Medela magnet that is on my freezer. It says 3-6 months in a regular freezer. I always do 3 months rather than 6 months though.
2. Can I eat Sushi while breastfeeding? I hope so! LOL I've eaten sushi several times while breastfeeding. The only harm would be raw fish. So enjoy your sushi girl! As long as its cooked
3. What about alsohol consumption? Do any of you ladies indulge in beer or wine once in a while? If so, do you "pump and dump". Any idea how long it takes the alcohol to show and to disappear from the breast milk? I have had a beer or a glass of wine and continue breastfeeding without pumping and dumping. I agree with the poster above that if you aren't too drunk to drive then you aren't too drunk to breastfeed. However, I personally don't like having more than 1 drink if I am going to breastfeed.
Thanks Kiliki for the siggie!