Did your mom breastfeed you? Did others in your family nurse?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 21st, 2012, 05:03 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Did they? Did this influence your decision to nurse at all? were they your support system or the opposite?

October 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was not breastfed. The only person I know bfed was my grandma. She was only able to bf my dad for a few months. She gave me a lot of encouragement. I decided to bf because formula is so expensive, then as I got more involved in it, I learned all the benefits. Glad I made this decision.

October 21st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom bf some while on maternity leave. I don't think she really gave a full effort on trying because it just wasn't the thing to do then and workplaces didn't really accommodate pumping moms.

My aunt bf her youngest daughter for 3 years. She was my strongest influence to try nursing.

Most of my family minds there own business. A few gave me a hard time with dd1 and this time I just don't care.

October 21st, 2012, 05:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know anyone IRL who breastfed at all. My family wasn't much support at all, quite the opposite. My husband was a great support though, and I wouldn't have been able to breastfeed without the help and encouragement from all the ladies in my DDC on JM.

October 21st, 2012, 07:13 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
My Mom did EBF me until I was past the age of 2, when she got pregnant with my brother. I don't know anyone else in my family who has breastfed. I came to the decision on my own to EBF my own children, but my Mom is a huge support, of course! DH is also a great support, especially when it comes to extended BF'ing. He used to say "only until he's 2" but he's still OK with it!

October 21st, 2012, 08:54 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My mom breastfed for like 2 months.

My aunt, (to my cousin who is a month older than me) breastfed for over a year, and cloth diapered

No one else in my family did. I had no support system. Not from Nicks family either.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

October 21st, 2012, 09:21 PM
sarahe210's Avatar Veteran
My mom bf and ff me for 7 months. She mostly bf but didn't know about pumps so would hand express or give formula sometimes. Her mother ff because that is what they were told was healthiest. Dad's mom bf because she was raised in a farm family in the middle of nowhere kansas and that was what they did. DH totally supported me but his family thought it sort of odd.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

October 22nd, 2012, 04:59 AM
Interesting posts! I was not bf and no on in my family bf. I have no support from my family to begin with, so that was not really a concern

My really good friend bf her three kids and she was a big influence on me, as was the birth center i went to. Once i was nursing into toddler years, i had a few friends who were still nursing and had the LLL support.

October 23rd, 2012, 08:46 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was not breastfeed and my grandma and an aunt breastfeed, thankfully though everyone has been very supportive and great about it.

I dont think it influnced my choice but i had decided a long time ago I was going to breastfeed my childern since its the bast for them. Later on I relized how much cheaper it would be to!

October 24th, 2012, 06:49 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was not breastfed and my grandma didn't breastfeed. It definitely didn't influence my choice

October 24th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The only one I know of that breastfed was my aunt (1 of 5), and I'm really not that close to my extended family so it never influenced me at all.

October 26th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
Neither I nor either of my sisters were breastfed. Also both my sisters didn't make it past a couple weeks BF'ing their children...though my middle sister made it 4 months with her youngest because of my support.

I just knew i wanted to BF so i was proactive, took a class, researched. My mom offered no support, i think she was a little uncomfortable to be honest....maybe she just felt awkward because she didn't and didn't have advice. Luckily it has been a smooth road for us and i really enjoy it so i haven't really thought about weaning yet anytime soon

October 27th, 2012, 03:39 PM
It still blows my mind to read about people deciding from start not to breastfeed. That is a rarity around these parts, almost everyone does it at least for few weeks.

I was breastfed for 4-5 months. Apparently my mom's supply went downhill once she had to go back to work. What influenced me to breastfeed is like I said above that for me it is the normal thing to do. The more I read it the more I realized that I dont see any reason for weaning. I'm letting my girls self wean.

I have support around me but no one I know has nursed for as long or longer. One friend has a girl 5 months younger than my oldest who is also still nursing. Some people think it is weird that I'm still nursing my 4 year old but no one says anything negative to my face at least.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
October 28th, 2012, 05:58 AM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mother only bf me for a few months. She wasn't very supportive. It wasn't until she was gossiping about me Still bfing, and my plan to nurse to two years to a co-worker, and they commented about how great that was that she became more supportive.

I don't think anyone in my dh's family nursed. They all found it kinda different and i always had to cover, or leave the room to nurse. And comments from his dad started, directed to Sam. Asking when he was going to stop nursing, when Sam was about 1 1/2.

DH was supportive of me nursing until Sam turned two. That support has totally ended and he is quite rude about me still nursing. I have to stop, it's just hard.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

November 2nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, my mom breastfed me and she was very supportive and encouraging. I think her breastfeeding all of her kids had something to do with me breastfeeding my daughter. It seemed like the natural choice for me.That along with the benefits of breastfeeding I just couldn't pass up on breastfeeding.
November 2nd, 2012, 12:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No, and she wasn't very supportive of me breastfeeding either. She thinks it is gross and too much work. She did make an attempt at breastfeeding my brother (who was born 19 years after me) but it didn't work out.

edit: Her decision not to breastfeed me did not affect my decision to breastfeed. In fact, for some reason, I always assumed that breastfeeding was the norm all the way from childhood. I don't know why, since I hadn't seen anyone breastfeed but that was just how I thought.

Last edited by LessthanThree; November 2nd, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
November 2nd, 2012, 03:11 PM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
Nobody in my family breastfed, and my mom was actually very much anti-bf when she had me. She was sort of supportive of me trying to bf as long as I was doing it by choice and not out of guilt or because I felt I "had" to. I was actually completely on the fence and the only real reason I gave it a shot was because of the cost savings. Now I would never think of giving formula unless there was a major set back where nursing wasn't possible.

Most of my coworkers breastfed, however, and they were a huge positive influence on me. When the topic would come up, they never talked about any of the guilt issues such as the health benefits, it was mostly about convenience and cost savings.

Also my mother in law used to be a la leche league leader. When I was pregnant, I found it intimidating because I thought she would be pushy and extremely disappointed if I didn't nurse. Now I find her to be a wonderful support (along with her entire family because they grew up with breastfeeding positive thoughts).

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
November 2nd, 2012, 07:47 PM
Super Mommy
My mother bf me for a month or two, not my sister, and my baby brother for about 6 months.

When I had my twins I was really young and free all natural super healthy "formula" was the way to go for me. 3 months for my twins and 6 months for my daughter. Hopefully this time around i can do it for a year.
November 8th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Veteran
yes my mom bf me for 4 motnh before she gave me up for adoption...Im glad she bf me...i never had any major illnesses in my life and my immune system functions properly. I plan to do the same for my daughter ...to be born in january 2013...and im planning to bf her for a longer time...
November 8th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiane2013 View Post
yes my mom bf me for 4 motnh before she gave me up for adoption...Im glad she bf me...i never had any major illnesses in my life and my immune system functions properly. I plan to do the same for my daughter ...to be born in january 2013...and im planning to bf her for a longer time...
do you know your birth mom? Not to be nosy, but how did you know this? or did your mom tell you?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search