Bf'ing remarks

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2012, 05:52 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I'm sure I won't say anything but my SIL keeps making comments about how long I'm bf'ing.
Jade is 9 months.

We meet about once a week or every 2 weeks for lunch. She asked me AGAIN yesterday if I was STILL nursing. I said of course. I formula fed the other 2 kids to 12 months then switched to regular milk. My "plan" is to nurse Jade to at least 12 months. But then why would I switch her to cows milk (that I have to buy) vs my own milk (that's free and has antibodies)?

She's says "oh ..well I would have pulled her off the boob a long time ago!"

Really??? She's a baby!!!
Anyway Jade doesn't eat much "food". She's VERY into nursing now and eats about every hour if I'm home. She can last 3 hours if I'm not here with her but if we are together she HAS to have her milkies. Lol.
I feel like I'm not pushing regular food until 12 months at least. Jade is in the 97th percentile for height and weight. She's very healthy and obviously my milk is going what it's supposed to.
Why fix something that's not broken??

Oh and my mom even made a comment about Jade not eating more food yet and nursing so much. What the heck???

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

October 23rd, 2012, 09:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have this issue with a lot of my family. MIL asked at 9 months if she was on formula yet, wth? My cousin who pushed me to BF but has no children of her own, told me its time to start weaning, babies don't get bottles after age 1 and the boob is the equivalent to that.

People also feed her food, without asking. Then when I say no to things ask me why. People need to listen to me when I tell them no, there's reasons. MIL likes to give her icing and wants to give her candy, what the ....! She isn't interested in foods and there is no reason to push them, yet. But that isn't good enough.

One day I will grow a set and tell all of these people to back off and let me parent my child who I want.

October 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
lunarmagic's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People can be very misinformed. Every baby needs to be on either breastmilk or formula until at least 12 months of age, and I would tell her that. Does she think you should switch to formula? That makes no sense at all.

2 IVF babies and 1 surprise!
~*~ My Blog ~*~
October 23rd, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She is uneducated about it. I know I will hear ear fulls when she's still on the boob past a year, oh well!!!!!!

October 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
meh, no one's comments ever bothered me and i almost nursed for three years. For the 1st and 2nd year, you can say that is what APA recommends, and you are going by those recommendations. That usually shuts people up.

October 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Nicholas was 11 months, Nicks cousin asked me "when are you switching to formula?" I'm like.. why would I bother? BM is free and better for him. He was kind of taken back.. almost like he thinks all babies need to get switched to formula at SOME point.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

October 24th, 2012, 06:50 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
People have always commented, well my family has, but they aren't used to breastfeeding.

October 25th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Doodlebug06's Avatar Doodlebug
I guess she thinks I'm supposed to switch to formula or cows milk? Why would I ?
I'm sure I'll hear about it when she's 3 and still night nursing =\ I just don't think I can cut her off. I'd like to let her do it herself. Why does anyone care?
This SIL is very sweet and one of my fav family members on dh's side. I think she must just be very uneducated about it. Not sure. Or maybe it's been so long since she had kids that things have changed? Her kids are 19 and 24. (actually her 19 year old just passed in an auto accident).
I don't know how the standard was back then but my oldest is 11 and I weaned him from bottles/formula at 12 months. I'm doing a lot different with Jade though and I was very uneducated about child rearing back then.

Jade Ja Kang
1-18-12
10:52 a.m.
18.5 inches
6lb 10 oz

October 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Lorena26's Avatar ♥ Gio's Mommy ♥
I'm kind of in the same situation, my sister keeps asking me why i'm still BF'ing. I reply to her with "why not? why buy formula?" and she just shruts. I think with me though, she's a little upset that she stopped at 4 months as it was too much for her to pump at work. i don't know why people begrudge you for giving your baby the best??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search