pumping & breastfeeding.. so confused.

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I only breastfed my older son for about 4 weeks and I supplemented with formula the entire time. This time around.. I have been EBF. It has it's challenged mostly because Cash is tongue tied (which we are getting fixed asap) but I haven't been pumping barely at all. However, I'm returning to work the first week of December. I need to start pumping to build up a freezer stash and also because I'm ready to have someone else feed him every once in a while. My question is.. when should I be pumping? Should I pump after he eats every time? Also, what if I go to exclusive pumping? Will my body make the amount of milk that my baby needs? I'm so confused as to how to get on a pumping & nursing schedule. This is a huge stressor for me. Last night I pumped about 45 minutes after Cash ate to have a bottle before bed. I got about 4 oz & he ate all of it. I pumped again about an hour later and got another 3 oz. then I nursed him an hour after that. I'm assuming if I pump then nurse an hour later it will build up my supply. This whole thing is just so confusing to me. lol. Someone help me know what to do & when to pump!

October 25th, 2012, 10:22 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Every time you give him a bottle, you need to pump to make up for that missed feeding. You can exclusively pump, however, a pump is not as efficient as a baby and many women see their supply just decrease more and more over time with just pumping. Not to say it cannot be done, it can for sure, but it is a lot of work. The pumping forum would also have some good advice for you. I found, for me, the best way to pump was to nurse on one side while pumping the other. First thing in the morning i yielded the most milk. 4oz for a pumping session sounds fine, i usually got 2-4 oz total per pumping session. Make sure you are double pumping, that will help too, and drinking tons of water. I found to have enough milk while i was working, that i needed to pump when i was not working as well and on my days off. But for us it was worth it and i pumped for 19 months at work.

October 27th, 2012, 02:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I just picked times I'm able to pump and continue pumping at those times. Usually it's 1-1.5 hours after a feed but not always. I also take advantage of more milk in the morning.

I am probably going to switch to mostly pumping during the day and nurse during the night. My supply is steady during the week. Sometimes it is more difficult to pump mid-day, but as long as I pump what dd drinks I'm good. I also do pump on the weekend, not as much, but I like my morning pump to stay as I feel like that "extra" pumping keeps my supply up.

Our usual day:
Nurse at: 3a,5-6a, 2p, 4p, 6p, 8p, midnight-ish (sometimes a few more in the evening)
Pump after 6a feed and 1:30
Give bottle at 8a and 11:30a

Also, they have calculators somewhere to help determine amount per feed. Dd2 rarely takes more then 3 oz per bottle. On average it's usually 2.5 oz

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search