Sharp pain

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2012, 01:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to rancherandcitygal
Hi! I just thought I would ask this here since I don't know where else to go.
For about 3 days now when DD latches on to my right side, sharp shooting pain is happening. It's not the nipple but kinda in the breast about 2inches or so and it hurts!!!! Hurts more than when she bit me a while back (yeah that was fun). What is going on??? Should I be concerned??

I should say that I am actively trying to wean her and slowly cut out feedings and I am wondering maybe I missed too much one day and got too engorged and it caused something.... I dunno. Not ready yet to go to DR if it's really nothing.

October 29th, 2012, 05:09 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
h mmmm sounds like it could be a clogged duct, especially if you are cutting back feedings. I would go to the dr if it feels like glass shards in there (thrush) or it gets red and streaky and/or you have a fever/flu like symptoms (mastitis). Otherwise, try some heat and compressions and more nursing on that side to see if you can get the blockage out, if that is what it is. It is usually hard behind the blockage as well, if you can feel it.

October 29th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Nevermind.

October 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No hard spots and no streaking or warmth. I think I found a raw spot on nipple that could be causing it. She is getting really lazy in her latch and that is part of the reason for weaning plus I'm ready to be done. The pain is less today so hoping it's going away whatever this was.

October 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had something similar happen. She had gotten lazy with her latch and I had a spot right above my nipple, looked the teeth impressions. Each time she would nurse I would get a shooting pain. Hope you feel better soon.

October 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
that is common at that age, to get a little lazy with latch, you just have to pop her off and relatch. If you are weaning, make sure you are supplementing with pumped milk or formula, as breastmilk or formula should be their main source of nutrition until at least 1 year of age.

October 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
that is common at that age, to get a little lazy with latch, you just have to pop her off and relatch. If you are weaning, make sure you are supplementing with pumped milk or formula, as breastmilk or formula should be their main source of nutrition until at least 1 year of age.
Yep I think it was bad latch on that side because today is hardly any pain. Yes I am formula feeding as I cut out nursing over this next month or so. I think I just went too fast and messed up things but it's all good Thank you ladies !!!!

October 30th, 2012, 04:56 PM
glad you are back on the right path and wish you event-less weaning Congrats for nursing as long as you did 10+ months is awesome, wtg momma!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search