how months or year do stop for breastfeeding?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fluga

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2012, 06:46 PM
how months or year do stop for breastfeeding? any suggestions for that..
October 30th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It depends on who you ask. A lot of pediatricians suggest up to a year and the World Health Organization suggests two years. Personally, I think it depends on the mother and baby. Some women don't feel comfortable nursing after a year (or even to a year), some can nurse for as long as possible.

October 31st, 2012, 05:37 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
The WHO recommends at least 2 years. We nursed for almost three.

The cow's milk at 1 year old is so formula fed babies can get cheap cow's milk instead of expensive formula, nothing to do with breastfeeding.

October 31st, 2012, 04:42 PM
You should breastfeed for as long as you and your child enjoy. If you are getting tired of it it may be time to wean but if you still enjoy it then by all means continue. Breastmilk and breastfeeding continues to have benefits for both mother and child well beyond a year.
Natalya'sMommy likes this.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
October 31st, 2012, 09:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan to self wean, but at the same time would like her weaned before 3.

October 31st, 2012, 10:28 PM
Super Mommy
I tend to stop by 4 months and switch to either formula or a friends milk. Thats only because I can't keep up a supply even with the mothers milk tea and all that other stuff.
November 1st, 2012, 06:28 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoePaigesMommy View Post
that was our plan It was obvious as we approached three that she would never wean any time soon, so i had to initiate it.

November 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to stop nursing Sam now. We officially stopped about three days ago, he is Two years, two months old. His father is strongly against me nursing any longer, and i have no intention of nursing two children at the same time...so i guess it's for the best.

I am not sure i will nurse baby #2 as long, it's been very hard to stop nursing Sam. I will nurse until at least a year though, and if i stop i will pump for a while so baby will still get the milk.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

November 1st, 2012, 12:24 PM
jojo2bee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree it depends on mom and baby. I plan on going for a year but will switch to pumping when hes aroind 3-4 months.... maybe lol but no matter which way he will get my breastmilk for a year.

November 18th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Veteran
We plan on going until she's in high school! JK. But there's really no end in sight.

November 19th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Veteran
I guess there is no particular date. Though I'm planning to wean my son just before he gets tooth sprout! He's 10 months already and tooth is about to get out now. It must be painful BF-ing him with teeth. But I dont know.. perhaps as long as he wants my milk... how could I refuse him?
November 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya'sMommy View Post
We plan on going until she's in high school! JK. But there's really no end in sight.
ha ha ha. My older daughter has informed me that she is nursing until she is 7 years old. Then she believes that her jaw will be too big to maintain a latch (this usually happens around that age and I have told her that it will happen, I told her because I thought she might be starting to lose her latch already). She does however want me to start pumping the milk for her instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJane View Post
I guess there is no particular date. Though I'm planning to wean my son just before he gets tooth sprout! He's 10 months already and tooth is about to get out now. It must be painful BF-ing him with teeth. But I dont know.. perhaps as long as he wants my milk... how could I refuse him?
I think it is actually fairly rare that teeth interfere with the nursing. Just go on how it feels. If it is the lower tooth that is coming through it wont bother at all as the tongue goes over it when latched on. I'm currently nursing two kiddos with loads of teeth and havent really had any problems.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
November 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoePaigesMommy View Post
Ditto. I do distract/delay though but I don't refuse.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search