PCOS and breastfeeding

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anoyone overcome the low supply PCOS can cause? I'm doing better now that I'm on domperidone but I still feel my supply may be a little low as my daughter will take a bottle occasionally after nursing. Any tips or advice from those who may have experienced supply issues?

November 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I do not have any specific advice for PCOS. Would metformin help (and is it safe while nursing)?

Drink A LOT of water, 1oz for every pound you weigh (if you weigh 150lbs, 150oz/day). Steel cut or old fashioned oatmeal, power pumping.

November 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have PCOS and struggled to nurse our first 5 children. I tried all the herbls, ate oatmeal like crazy, lots of fluids. Domperidone helped me make more milk with #3, but it really screwed up my hormones so I had to go off. Once I went off, my milk dried up immediately.

With #4, I discovered More Milk Plus...the Special Blend is especially for those of us with PCOS. It worked really well and I used it to maintain my supply with #5 as well.

I'd never taken Metformin while nursing before, but I am now with #6. My milk supply is the best it's ever been, not as watery as with my other kids and I seem to have a lot of it. I have More Milk Plus just in case, but I haven't needed to use it so far.

Do you normally take Metformin for your PCOS symptoms when you're not pregnant or nursing? If so, it might be a good idea to get back on!
November 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
aubers68's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was taking Met, and I think it was helping. But my daughter started having a really gurgly stomach and I wasn't sure if it was the met or my diet. I stopped the met. Now, I think it's my diet because she's still gurgly AND has darker poop then usual. I'm working on getting dairy out of my diet right now, along with a low supply... it hasn't been the easiest road but I'm not giving up. Maybe I should start the met again.

I've been horrible with water. I'm trying harder then ever to get it in. Today I got in 8 bottles of water so 128oz... that was hard to do and I need 60oz more if I have to drink 1oz per pound (another lovely issue PCOS has brought upon, weight!)

November 7th, 2012, 05:06 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
the water intake is just a guide, it is darn near impossible to get 150oz of water, but aim for it, over 100, i would consider that a huge success I would look at the metformin again.
aubers68 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search