Pumping question....

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Veteran
My LO is 3 weeks as of this past saturday... Ive been bfing and supplementing with formula since she was born. I did both BF and formula since day one, since i was taking pain meds for my c-section and didn't want baby getting to much. Since then Bfing has been a chore, seems as though i'm barely producing anything and have been suplementing with formula a ton. I want to keep bfing as long as possible though so LO can receive benefits. When i pump I barely get anything, I pump for 20 min and get half an ounce. Question is, i bought a cheaper pump, the first years mi pump, electric, but do you think buying a better pump would up my supply? or would it just be a waste of money? Thinking of getting the medela pump in style.
December 4th, 2012, 09:46 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Well, first thing is, as long as you are supplementing, you are most likely not going to make enough milk, it is supply and demand. The meds for c section recovery are safe while nursing. If you plan on pumping, then invest in one, but maybe look into renting one for just a month. I would cut back on the formula and try to get baby to nurse as much as possible. Are you pumping both sides at the same time? read the article i posted about pumping output that should help with expectations. The more you nurse, the more milk you will make, see the sticky here for the nursing sabbatical for three days. Skin to skin will help too.

Please let me know ifyou have more questions. I would also look into a breastfeeding group in your area for some moral support as wel

December 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
I'm sorry you're having a tough time. When a baby is a newborn, they don't need a whoooole lot of milk. But what they do need, is to suck. When they suck, they make your body produce more milk for when they get bigger and they start to need more.

So by supplementing the baby, she's not getting that chance to suck and make your body produce more milk.

I'd follow mgm78's advice. When you stop supplementing, she'll want to suck, so just pop a boob in there and let her. You'll start making more milk AND she'll be comforted (which means less fussy baby!).

I know it seems like nursing is a lot of work right now. Trust me when I say, in the long run, it's so much easier than doing formula. You just gotta get past those first few weeks of learning how to nurse. You won't have bottles to wash (as often, if at all) or worry about forgetting the formula when you go out.

You'll come to enjoy it if you give it a chance.

My Boring Blog
December 4th, 2012, 02:01 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
oh and all babies have a high need to suck, so make the breast the only place they get that need met (as in no bottles or pacifiers for the mean time). If you do need to supplement, do it with a syringe, a cup, or a spoon.

December 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm78 View Post
oh and all babies have a high need to suck, so make the breast the only place they get that need met (as in no bottles or pacifiers for the mean time). If you do need to supplement, do it with a syringe, a cup, or a spoon.
Keep her around you or wear her as much as you can. Encourage her to comfort nurse. This will increase your supply. Also you can try to offer her to nurse more frequently if she is awake for it. When I was trying to put weight on my LO I would offer her to nurse the minute she woke up from a nap as well as nursing her as frequently as I could. She was 4 months at the time so bit more wakeful then a newborn but I was nursing her probably every hour. A week of that saw a notable increase in her weight btw.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
December 4th, 2012, 02:52 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I second what the other ladies said. If you are supplementing your body has no reason to make more milk. Nurse and nurse and nurse and your body will make more milk. The meds they give you after a csection are safe for the baby. I successfully bfed my csection baby for a year with no formula. I also did it after my vaginal birth with pain meds...again all that is safe for nursing.
December 5th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm with everyone else!

The first few months I used formula, but never really pumped. When I decided to cut the formula out, I grabbed my boppy pillow and gave her a boob, all.the.time! Anytime after that when I pump I get anywhere from 2-4ounces,combined.

I wish you all the best, it is tough, but it is also very worth it!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search