Nipple Shield

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to LaraleighF Send a message via MSN to LaraleighF Send a message via Yahoo to LaraleighF
The Lactation consultant at my hospital suggested a nipple shield for me... I have very short nipples.. and my son was born @ 36 weeks and wasn't strong enough to latch... I bottlefed him for the first week then weened him off of the bottle and on to the shield... I am worried about my milk supply... So far I've had no change but the La Leche league website leads me to think it is only a matter of time. My son is getting plenty of milk and though I try at least once a day w/out the shield, he gets frustrated and quits.... Anyone have any ideas about how to ween him and whether it's even necessary???

-LL
married Dec. 28, 2002
Mason born April 1, 2005 @ 12:02 pm
5lb 5oz 19 3/4 in
EDD= Nov. 13, 2006

April 18th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had to use a nipple shield with my son because my nipples were very flat. I used the shields combined with a pump to help draw them out for him to latch onto. I took a few weeks, but it did finally work and he could latch on without it. I would try without the shield at the beginning of the feeding, then go to the shield if he can't latch on. Then when switiching to the other side, I would repeat and try without first since he is not so hungry.
April 18th, 2005, 01:17 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
The lactation consultant suggested the nipple shield for me and Brandon too. But I had a hard time using it. It kept falling off or he would get frustrated. I have read different things about its use. Some people think its a bad idea. I did not have problems with my nipples so I don't really think it made any difference for me. Brandon had problems with low muscle tone, a high pallate, and he has very poor coordination with sucking/chewing/swallowing. So for me it was not a good solution.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 18th, 2005, 09:59 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...an-shield.html

maybe this will help??
xoxo, Tiffany

April 18th, 2005, 10:00 PM
mamasboys0204's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to mamasboys0204
breastfeeding.com has a good message board maybe you can try asking there? good luck
xoxo, Tiffany

April 19th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Natural Blessings's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Often it only takes a couple of weeks for the nipples to be convinced to stick out more. Since it is helping with breastfeeding I'd keep doing it for now. There are women who use the shellss for months without a problem. I believe the problem came in with the old shields with the new designs and materials there isn't the issues they had before.
April 19th, 2005, 08:22 AM
AmberC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to AmberC
I used one with Crista too cause I had trouble getting her to latch on (until my mom came to visit and showed me how to do it when none of the nurses could help!!) It worked really well for us and actually .. I missed it when I started nursing her without it because then my nipples got really sore and I cried every time I knew she wanted food.

</div>
April 19th, 2005, 12:05 PM
mommyofdani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mommyofdani
The nipple shield worked wonders for me. We actually used it longer than I was told to It was so painful when I wouldn't use it *you weren't the only one crying Amber!* that I just continued to use my shield. But when the time finally came to stop using the shield, Dani just knew what to do. And she was always a hungry little bugger so she was just happy to eat.

April 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to LaraleighF Send a message via MSN to LaraleighF Send a message via Yahoo to LaraleighF
Thanks for the responses... Yesterday I was successful in getting him to latch without the shield but only for a few minutes... I think as long as I keep trying to let him latch w/out it then when he's ready he'll be fine. At least that's what I'm hoping!!!

-LL
married Dec. 28, 2002
Mason born April 1, 2005 @ 12:02 pm
5lb 5oz 19 3/4 in
EDD= Nov. 13, 2006

April 21st, 2005, 05:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
I had to use the shield too. The reason so many are against it is its suppose to hinder completely emptying the breast and that can cause your milk supply to go down. Though as stated above they have come out with some new designs so that may no longer be an issue. I pumped after I used them and finished emptying the breast and froze it. Sounds like getting him to latch even if for a few minutes is a good step in the right direction, hopefully soon you won't need it at all.
April 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Selestial's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had to use one with Riley. We had to use it for a loooooong time, but I know I would have given up nursing without it. Good luck...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search