Look forward to getting it right this time..

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 07:44 AM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #2 Due July 19, 2013
With my daughter who is now 5.. I breast fed her for the first week or two. No latch issues and she had the "correct" amount of dirty diapers. However, there were some other issues...

1. I was exhausted from lack of sleep. We only had 1 bed, and DH was in it. That means I was uncomfortable in the glider all night long or on our very uncomfortable couch. I never experienced BFing laying down or "laid back nursing" (infact, knew nothing about either.. I was overwhelmed with just being a new mom at 21)

2. I was told at the hospital by the nurses she needed to feed every 2 hours. So In my mind, if she was fussing in between feedings.. I didn't know to try and nurse her anyway.. I would rock her and do ANYTHING but nurse her because it just didn't occur to me and I had a very unhappy baby. Now I know from the La Leche League to throw schedules at the window and nurse her anyway, even if that wasn't the initial problem.

3. At her first check up the Doctor completely freaked me out by saying she'd lost "too much weight". I gave birth on Sunday and my Milk didn't come in until Thursday evening. I left the doctors office in tears and I immediately went to pick up formula because I felt like a failure. Now, I don't remember exact numbers but from what I am reading.. I was on IV fluids for a solid 10 hours and that means so was baby. Her birth weight was most likely "artificially inflated" by the IV fluids and given the fact it took a bit for my milk to come in, I guess combing those two factors it wasn't going to look good on the scale?
I am not sure what I can do differently next time on that issue but I want to be prepared. I feel like a good pediatrician would have encouraged me to just nurse her constantly and giving me advice. I don't remember her giving me any good advice. So maybe a new pediatrician is in order.

So going on formula was the worst decision I ever made. She had this horrible intolerance to it. We ended up spending $50 a week on this special formula that only made her "half way" better. She was basically a miserable baby for the first year of life. There are not many things I regret in life, but that is one of them.
I am so glad I picked up the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. I wish I had read that the first time around! I am also planning on going to meetings and surrounding myself with support.

I am only 18 weeks a long with #2, but wanted to share my story
February 12th, 2013, 10:39 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you're more prepared mentally to do what it takes to make it work this time, so that's great! Definitly good luck to you, and I hope that having some perspective and support will go a long way toward making it happen this time. I also remember the nurses and literature from the hospital suggesting a schedule (every 2-3 hours), but I think that's more of a "be concerned if the baby goes longer than that without feeding," or something like that. Feeding on demand is definitely the way to go.

If you haven't already, you should check out both the La Leche League website (llli.org) and KellyMom.com. Both are excellent resources, and they helped me so much!

Oh, and congrats on your pregnancy!
OnesOnTheWay likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 13th, 2013, 04:03 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
awwww. Hugs!!!

Sounds like you listened to what misinformed medical professionals said, why would you not believe them, right? I do not think you did anything wrong, BUT, now you are older, wiser and armed with FACTS I know our local La Leche has a series of 4 or 5 meetings that they recommend prior to your baby coming (though only a couple are probably pertinent, like getting ready for baby, etc). DD nursed round the clock, 24/7, in those early weeks. Every baby is different and that was her normal. And yes, the IV fluids would give and inflated birth rate, and only recently have i seen this in articles stating how this can distort nursing progress.

Welcome to the board and please ask any questions you have now, later, and once baby is here

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search