First-time mommy to be...unsure

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By ZoePaigesMommy
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By BriLandy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 20th, 2013, 05:51 PM
BriLandy's Avatar Veteran
I am pregnant with my first baby (a little girl) and I'm not sure what I want to do as far as feeding. I know that breastfeeding is healthier for the baby and is a bonding experience, but honestly, it seems kind of creepy and frightening to me. I want to try and may start off by doing half breastfeeding half formula feeding, but I just don't know.

Has anybody else had similar doubts? Any insight as to the benefits and downsides of each?

Baby girl, due May 18th, 2013.

Bri
February 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was really freaked out by the thought. After I had my daughter I tried, it hurt, then I had people at the hospital looking at my boobs it was such an awkward experience. So we started giving her formula, it was easier in the hospital, then my boobs weren't always out. Then after a few days she would cry, had belly issues, ect so I decided to get rid of formula. Her belly issues went away she was having regular bowel movements(and they didn't smell as bad). Now we are almost at 15 months of breastfeeding and any weirdness I had is gone. I'm glad I made the decision to get rid of formula.
Fluga and yvee80 like this.

February 20th, 2013, 08:09 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It can seem weird at first but it becomes a wonderful experience almost immediately. I wouldn't advise trying to breastfeed and formula feed from the start. Any formula in the beginning can delay your milk coming in and cause supply issues from the start which can hinder your breast feeding relationship. I'd encourage you to choose one way or the other, and if you choose to breast feed, stay as far from formula in the beginning as you can.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
February 20th, 2013, 08:19 PM
tryn1998's Avatar Veteran
I didn't breastfeed with my first 2 because I thought it was strange and wasn't too comfortable with it. It wasn't as "main stream" back then and now things are different. Anyways, I decided to give it a go with my 3rd baby despite my fears and confusion about it. It worked for us and I really enjoyed my breastfeeding experience with him, and am now breastfeeding baby #4 and I find it odd that I didn't do it with my first 2.

You can always try it and if you don't like it, you can switch. I wouldn't recommend both breastfeeding and bottle feeding at the same time because in the beginning, nipple confusion and preference starts in.
February 20th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Thanks ladies, that's all really helpful. That's a good point about forming a preference for one or the other. I think I should start out breastfeeding, and I can always switch to formula later on if I really don't like it. I just want to do what's best for her so I think that's the way to go.

Bri
February 21st, 2013, 04:01 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Yes, I would start out with breastfeeding only, because if you start doing half and half your milk supply will suffer, it is supply and demand. I would suggest getting to some breastfeeding or La Leche meetings prior to your baby's arrival to see that breastfeeding is normal and natural and not a big deal. You should check out the "Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" as well as other books. Do you know anyone who breastfed? when DD was born, only my one friend was someone I knew who nursed, but as time went on i made a lot of friends and all nursed their babies.

February 21st, 2013, 08:11 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's OK to be the only one you know who breastfeeds too. There's LOTS of people here that do it!

Even now, breastfeeding my 3rd time, I NEVER see anyone breastfeeding in public or anything. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's winter in WI haha.

You can always talk with you local wic even if you don't use their services they will be glad to talk to you.

February 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You've gotten some really great advice already! Just wanted to say good luck to you, whatever you decide. There are lots of great resources out there (including the ladies here at JM)...La Leche League's website (LLLI.org) and KellyMom.com are two of my favorite.

Breastfeeding is sort of a conundrum in that, yes, it's a very natural thing to do, but it does NOT come naturally to everyone, especially right away. It can be awkward, painful, frustrating, etc., but usually it is the first several weeks that are the hardest, and if you can make it through that, it gets much easier.
Hokie Nicole likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 21st, 2013, 05:59 PM
I'll give it a try, and even if I can only do it for a few weeks or months, at least I will have tried and I know it's healthy for even a short period of time.
ThaiSpice likes this.

Bri
February 22nd, 2013, 04:08 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriLandy View Post
I'll give it a try, and even if I can only do it for a few weeks or months, at least I will have tried and I know it's healthy for even a short period of time.
yes!! any breastmilk your LO gets is a gift. please stay and join our board

February 22nd, 2013, 06:12 PM
Ok and thank you for being so kind

Bri
February 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hospitals sometimes offer breastfeeding classes....my OB strongly recommended I go to one (I'm already planning to breastfeed), so there must be something useful there. Look into it Everything about having a baby is going to be weird (pooping while giving birth? tons of people all up in your business? The fact that there is a human being growing inside you?), so don't let that deter you There should also be lactation consultants at your hospital to help you out in the beginning.
February 26th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I'm definitely not going to take breastfeeding classes, that is just way too awkward for me! But a friend of mine said she'll give me a pump that is still in the box, so I'm definitely going to try.

Bri
March 9th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know this is kind of dated, but just wanted to add some thoughts.

I BF my first, and hated it. I kept going when I should have weaned because it was just too taxing on my well being. Part of being a good mom to me is being 100% both physically and emotionally.

With #2, I wasn't even going to try. I was determined not to BF her. I even had the bottles and formula packed in my bag because I knew I was not going to have any at the birth center where I was having her. I tried and I didn't have that sense of panic I felt with #1, so I kept trying. I just took it one feeding at a time. Around 6 weeks old, I felt like I just couldn't do it anymore. Tried to wean her and it just broke my heart seeing her do what her sister did. I decided I'd mix pumping (which oddly isn't as stress inducing for me) and nursing from tap. It is a happy middle. She gets 1-2 bottles a day, I pump after or before 1 or 2 feedings. I just take it each day, each feeding at a time. I probably wont make it past a year, but that's ok. I told DH that at 9 months I'm going to probably stop pumping and like my supply do what it does. I have a few weeks worth of pumped milk on hand and then she can switch to cows milk or formula depending on how long the pumped milk lasts.

Bf-ing with #2 has been a very different experience. While I still don't enjoy it, it isn't nearly has difficult or taxing emotionally. I feel more in control, which helps me to still give her breastmilk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search