Milk supply questions

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2013, 12:01 PM
amcashes's Avatar Swollen Feet Mommy
So I am 12 days postpartum and I am breastfeeding and pumping. I pump when I feel like I need to and my son is not ready to eat. Right now I have about 30 bags of milk in the freezer and my son eats from me too. But I am only able to pump a few ounces out of each side. I feel like I am not making enough milk. Am I low on milk? Also is it normal for the girls to get itchy when you need to pump?

So you all know here is a list of times I pumped and how much I got out of each side so you can better understand why I am worried.

Sunday 2/24

512pm Left- 3oz Right- 2oz
645pm Left- 1oz Right- 1oz
939pm Left- 3oz Right- 3oz
1143pm Left- 1oz Right- 1oz

Monday 2/25

154am Left- 2oz Right- 2oz
830am Left- 2oz Right- 2oz
1045am Left- 2oz Right- 3oz
1258pm Left- 2.5oz Right- 2oz

I am a crunchy stay at home mom to a , , and a my husband is in our eyes.
February 25th, 2013, 12:26 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also pumped as well as breast-fed, and I'd pump anywhere from 1-4 oz total at a time, depending on the time of day and when by daugher had last fed. So your numbers look pretty good to me! Plus, everyone is different in the amount they can pump in one session.

In general, early morning pumping sessions are the most productive, so if you can take advantate of opportunities to pump in the morning (either directly after a feeding, or in between feedings), you might pump more--and the earlier the better. The later in the day it was, the less I pumped, always. Usually 1oz total was the most I'd get at night (a couple of hours after a feeding).

Also, I don't know how long your pumping sessions are, but making sure to pump for at least 20 minutes, or through 2 to 3 let downs, really helped me produce more, as did hand-expressing for a couple of minutes after pumping.

Hope that helps! Ask away if you have any other questions!
amcashes likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 25th, 2013, 12:39 PM
I am only pumping for 10 minutes because my nipples are so sore. But is it normal for the girls to get itchy when you need to pump? Mine have been like that the last few days.

February 25th, 2013, 03:29 PM
I don't remember the itching, specifically...but it's been a while. I just tried to pump on a schedule as much as possible (when I was at work), and feed on demand at home, sometimes pumping after she was done eating.

I will say that I started pumping 1.5 - 2 ounces more per session when I increased my minimum pumping time to 20 minutes instead of 10. I can definitely relate to the sore nipples, though. But hopefully over time they'll get much less sore!

February 25th, 2013, 04:15 PM
My nipples are bad enough they swell to the size of a dime anytime I pump.

February 25th, 2013, 04:44 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
You may need bigger horns for your pump, they come in multiple sizes. That is a lot of milk, especially while nursing and just less than two weeks post partum. I would try not to get too hung up on your pumping output, it is not a good indicator of your milk supply. Also, the more you put the baby on the breast, the more milk you are going to make. I would try to nurse more, unless you are going back to work soon. The pump is not going to trigger the body as much as the baby, to produce more milk.

February 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM
^ I was going to say the same thing about possibly needing a different size breastshields/horns. I don't know what kind of pump you have, but here is some information from Medela's website: Medela - Choosing a Correctly Fitted Breastshield. I had to go up to a large shield. And in addition to being more comfortable, I was able to pump more. Another thing that really helped my nipples was the Lansinoh Soothies gel pads. I loved those! And in time, your nipples should get more accustomed to the whole thing and be less sore/swollen. I think the first few weeks are the hardest, and then it gets much easier.

Last edited by ThaiSpice; February 25th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
February 25th, 2013, 04:59 PM
I am a stay at home mom so I will not be returning to work. I have the medela pump in style advanced. I have larger horns but it just makes the pain worse.

February 26th, 2013, 05:00 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Maybe just try hand expressing if you feel the need to pump.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search