Curious about BFing while TTC / during pregnancy.

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By CherryLimeade
  • 1 Post By Mountain Momma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2013, 09:37 PM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first baby is 9 months old. I've had my cycle back for a few months now, ovulation included! I'm interested in starting on baby #2. (I love the idea of having my babies close in age!) My questions are: Does breastfeeding make it more difficult to conceive in anyway? Is it difficult to breastfeed while pregnant (considering the MS and fatigue)?

Or just share your stories about breastfeeding while pregnant. I've never known anyone to do so, but I would definitely be interested in continuing to breastfeed throughout my possible future pregnancy
March 28th, 2013, 05:20 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
i don't think it should affect TTC since your cycles are regular and then once your are preggo, ymmv, unfortunately. some women nurse all through pregnancy with no obvious issues, others have sensitive nipples, change in milk flavor, or decrease in milk supply. Some women do not see a decrease in milk supply until late in the pregnancy, others earlier.

March 28th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We had no problems conceiving dd2, we conceived on the first month of trying. I didn't really notice a drop in my milk supply but I hated nursing while pregnant at one point. I wanted to nurse but the sensation of dd1 nursing, she was over a year old, drove me insane. It was really the hormones. Some days were better than others. I reduced how much I breastfed her too because once I got pregnant all she wanted to do was nurse and would replace meals. The first trimester I was exhausted but honestly it was more from chasing after a toddler than breastfeeding. I did start bleeding after getting dehydrated during a heat wave but even so the er doctor told Me to just hydrate take it easy and I could keep breastfeeding.
One of my ob s was not so pro breastfeeding and told me that I needed to wean by 24-28 weeks. Then at 37 weeks she told me I really needed to wean so my body would reset for my newborn. That also didn't happen. The colostrum came in, poor dd1 had really really loose stools though. I think it lasted for a couple of weeks. Dd2 has gained weight just fine and I'm pretty sure my body is making what she needs.
There were times that were challenging but I would do it all over again. Dd1 will ask to breastfeed when her sister eats but I just remind her she breasdtfeeds at night. It gets a little difficult when they both want/need to be fed at night but I put them both on the recliner with me and they breastfeed.
I won't lie, it's still challenging but dd1 needs the comfort to cope with all the changes that come with a new sibling.
March 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Congrats on your LO, Luckyone

March 28th, 2013, 11:48 AM
CherryLimeade's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do worry about my son being jealous if I tandem nurse. I can already tell he's gonna be a big mama's boy. But of course that's forever away. I guess i will just have to take it as it comes if i get pregnant. And tough it out during fatigue and chasing my son all over xD

I hear a lot about how OBs tell women to wean during pregnancy. I don't have a problem ignoring their advice either. Half the time, drs aren't as informed as most people think they are.

And yes congrats on your newborn! I'm hoping for a girl next as well
jeweluv likes this.
March 28th, 2013, 01:57 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My older sister TTC while BF, then BF while pregnant, and then tandem nursed for a long time. She didn't have any issues that I know of.

I started TTC right around the time my little girl weaned (around 29 months). What I found through charting during the several months before TTC was that, yes, I was ovulating, but my luteal phase was very short (7-8 days). This could potentially be due to breast feeding, and could potentially cause issues with not allowing enough time for implantation (there's conflicting data out there about this). After she weaned, my luteal phase did increase to about 9-10 days, and after three cycles I did get pregnant. Who's to say whether any of that had anything to do with weaning.

I would say there's no reason you can't give it a go...see what happens. I wouldn't wean simply for the purpose of TTC, unless you find that it's causing some kind of problem. Same goes for BF while pregnant as well as tandem nursing...I would only wean if there were other compelling reasons (i.e. my child was ready to wean, or it was causing some kind of problem, or I just couldn't handle it).

Good luck to you!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

March 29th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Veteran
I'm currently almost 14 weeks pregnant and have an 11 month old! My cycles were not super regular when I got pregnant so had to have an early ultrasound to confirm my due date, but that's ok - who doesn't love to peak at the baking bean. I haven't had an issue with drop in milk production yet. In the last few weeks my nipples have been a bit more senstive but not enough to cause me to stop nursing by any means. Just trying to make sure I eat healthy and get as much rest as my 11 month old allows! My advise is to go for it, I'm excitited to have closely spaced kiddos!
jeweluv likes this.

March 31st, 2013, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryLimeade View Post
I do worry about my son being jealous if I tandem nurse. I can already tell he's gonna be a big mama's boy. But of course that's forever away. I guess i will just have to take it as it comes if i get pregnant. And tough it out during fatigue and chasing my son all over xD

I hear a lot about how OBs tell women to wean during pregnancy. I don't have a problem ignoring their advice either. Half the time, drs aren't as informed as most people think they are.

And yes congrats on your newborn! I'm hoping for a girl next as well
I have actually just heard the opposite, there is less jealousy when the older one gets to continue nursing. My nurseling was much older when her little sister was born so I had an easy time explaining everything to her. I made a point to say that when she'd be born that there would be so much milk for both of them. Few times I also resorted to telling her that the other breast was reserved for her only when I wanted to finish up nursing the baby before nursing her.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search