Emotional

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2013, 08:47 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
My baby is just over a day old and I'm already so overwhelmed with breastfeeding. I just can't get her to latch right and it hurts so much. She got so upset tonight I agreed to try pumping and I feel like such a failure.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
July 15th, 2013, 10:33 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First, congrats! Sorry you're having a rough time. You're definitely not a failure, though. Is there a LC around that can help with the latch? Sometimesit just takes a while for them to get the latch right. In the meantime, do you have lanolin or something like that for your nipples? One thing that worked wonders for me in the beginning was the soothies gel pads...felt great on sore nipples--maybe someone could run out and get some for you. I hope things start to improve for you guys soon!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 16th, 2013, 08:39 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Yes please find a good lactation consultant to help you, they can help so much. If you let me know what area you are in, I can recommend one for you. I am a lactation consultant as well so if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I can give some advice to alleviate the nipple pain, but you would need to get to the root of the problem in order to really fix the situation. The faster you seek help, the sooner you will feel better.
Did you have your baby in the hospital? I just noticed you said just a little over 1 day old, are you still in the hospital? Ask your nurse if there is a lactation consultant on staff.

Does the pain last throughout the whole feeding or just for the first few seconds during the initial latch?
July 18th, 2013, 12:02 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just checking in...how are things going now? How are you feeling? Hope things are looking up! Hang in there!

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 19th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
I went through the same thing. He latched on well at the hospital, but then got lazy. He was a sleepy eater at first. He lost a pound during the week after birth and became dehydrated. His pediatrician ended up giving him a bottle of formula (boo!) to get him fed and rehydrated, BUT that was all the encouragement I needed to go home and fire up the pump. I exclusively pumped for the next two weeks. I was lucky in that my body responded well to the pump and I was even able to start building up a fairly impressive freezer stash. Now that he's a month old, we've started integrating nursing sessions and pumping sessions. I found that the two, four, and six a.m. feedings are easier if you are nursing rather than bottle feeding and pumping. During the day I'll nurse him but a lot of times I will still have to pump after he's done. I may have established a little too much supply early on. Oops.

It will get better. In the first few days I thought that I'd NEVER be able to do this. Now it's been a month and I'm not going to lie, it's still tough sometimes, but it's getting better. Just take it one day at a time and one feeding at a time.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."
July 19th, 2013, 02:37 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
Hugs!!! I would see if there is a La Leche (free of cost to you) in your area to help you, or if your hospital has a LC you can see. Also, if you are pumping, do not feed iwth a bottle, but a syringe or cup. Hang in there, it will be overwhelming at first, but it is all worth it.

July 31st, 2013, 08:16 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Well, things are somewhat better now. She had to go on the bili light machine for a few days in the hospital so I started pumping every two hours. I really hate formula. Nobody told me not to keep pumping at home as well as nursing, so I got really horribly engorged. It was torture. I have 100% stopped pumping and it is improving now. They still feel hard as rocks sometimes. We're still having issues, she makes this smacking, suction sound when she nurses and pulls off a lot. She also doesn't want to go on sometimes. From what I have read a forceful let down may be the issue - my milk literally sprays like a water gun. The LC in our area was unavailable consistently so I gave up trying. The LE I saw watched us and had nothing to offer.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy

Last edited by NinjaCakes; July 31st, 2013 at 08:18 PM.
August 1st, 2013, 04:44 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
If you have a forceful letdown, unlatch her and let it flow into a burp rag or towel and then when the flow calms down, relatch the baby. I had an overactive letdown on one side and it worked itself out over time.

Pumping a lot always gave me blocked ducts, so i can only imagine. It will only get easier. Hang in there and please keep us posted!
Minilegs likes this.

August 1st, 2013, 06:23 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry it's been so rough for you this time. But you aren't a failure. The opposite, actually. The women who struggle but still pull through I think are the biggest successors of breastfeeding. They do it even when it's not easy. That I think says a lot. It's great when anyone breastfeeds, but there is something special about the women who do it when it doesn't come so easy. Because, let's face it, it's easy to breastfeed if it's easy! But there is something special about overcoming what's hard. Keep it up. I hope with each passing day things for you improve. (hugs)
August 1st, 2013, 07:04 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
If you hear smacking noises and the baby pulls off a lot, I would continue to pump afterwards so you don't lose your supply. I know a few lactation consultants in Illinois. Let me know what area you are in and I can see if they are close by. You can also check out Baby2Breast.com. If you can't find one in your area, you can do a Skype visit. The clicking noises have me suspicious of a tongue or lip tie. For the engorgement you can take your motrin if they gave you some from the hospital as that will reduce swelling. Do warm compresses before and during nursing/pumping and then do cold compresses in between. If you notice a lot of knots in your breasts, take a big tub and fill it with warm water and then lean your breasts over into it for 10 minutes. Then use massage while hand expressing/nursing/pumping to work the knots out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search