Tips?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ThaiSpice

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone have experience with BFing/Pumping and then going back to work? I am hoping to exclusively BF this time around, even after going back to work. I'm not sure how to establish a good BF relationship/ routine and then pumping routine in the 8 weeks I have off. Once I go back to work I will be away from baby from about 7am - 5:30pm (ugh). Does anyone have any advice? With my first I ended up stopping bfing before going back to work. I had to supplement early on and he wasn't taking to it well and I just didn't get the help I needed. I don't want that to happen again.

July 22nd, 2013, 07:07 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Find a good lactation consultant to help you come up with a good plan. Do you have insurance? If you do and plan to get a pump through insurance, make sure it's a good pump. Some insurance companies are out low quality pumps which may hurt your milk supply. Also, insurance companies may cover the lactation consulting services. Make sure to get fit for the proper flange size because if you use the wrong size, it can hinder your milk supply or cause nipple trauma. Did you talk to you employer about pumping and break times? Ideally you want to pump at least 2 times while away for that long, preferably 3. Get a good hands free pumping bra as that will allow you to eat lunch or check emails etc... while you pump.

During that 8 weeks, you would bf on demand while pumping afterwards to build up a supply or you can pretend you have twins, pump on one side while nursing on the other and switch sides at each feeding.

I would also suggest to not pump for the first week so the baby can maximize your milk supply.
July 22nd, 2013, 07:47 AM
Thank you! I do have insurance, however, they do not cover a pump. A close friend did give me her medela in style advanced pump and I have replaced parts/ cleaned it up. I also do not think that it will be an issue pumping at work. I can take two breaks (one AM and one PM and also pump at lunch). We have dedicated lactation rooms, but I think I would easily be able to use a physician's office if need be (I'm a medical secretary).

July 22nd, 2013, 08:01 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I pumped while working with #1 until she was 13 months old (and then kept BF until she was 29ish months), and now I'm pumping again with #2. It's definitely doable, but it's a commitment, for sure.

This time around, I pumped every day after her early morning feeding while I was still on maternity leave. And I also hand expressed some here and there throughout the day while she was napping, or after feedings. By the time I went back to work, I had a nice freezer stash. Now that I'm back at work, I am pumping/hand expressing more often. I am lucky enough to be able to pump/express whenever I need/want to. I pump or express usually every 1.5-2 hours at work. With #1, I could really only pump on my commute to work, on my lunch break, and on my commute home. Really, that was not enough for me to maintain good supply. Also, I try to keep snacks and water nearby while working so that I make sure I maintain enough water & calorie intake to keep my supply up.

Feel free to come over to the pumping mommies board, too. It's not super active, but it's always nice to have other people to commiserate with!
Hesperleigh and JillyP like this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Last edited by ThaiSpice; July 22nd, 2013 at 08:05 AM.
July 22nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Thank you! I'm super nervous about it and also very excited and determined to make it work this time around! I will definitely check out the pumping board as well.

Now, I just need her to make her appearance so we can get started!

July 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I would also encourage you to call your insurance company again and ask why? The only acceptable reason they are allowed to give you is because they are grandfathered in but all plans will renew by the first of the year and some way before then and then no plans can be grandfathered in anymore. I bill insurance companies all the time for my clients and we have learned that sometimes they tell you no because they don't know that they have to and two, they reps don't know the new laws regarding breast pumps and lactation consulting services.
July 22nd, 2013, 01:43 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I pumped and went back to work PT 5 days a week at 5 weeks PP. I would pump and try to stash as much as you can. I found that when i pumped WHILE nursing, i got more milk, like baby on right side, pump on the left. I also found double pumping got more output vs single side pumping. You probably won;t have any issues until you go back to work, then for me, it was finding how to pump enough. I would pump first thing in the morning (while nursing), when i got to work, 1-2 times at work and sometimes at night, though i usually got nothing at night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search