Dried up at 1 week pp

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2013, 08:51 AM
HappilyTogether's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been pumping since 3 days pp when my milk came in. I am trying desperately to breast feed my son but he doesn't want to latch. He just searches and searches (i guess they call it rooting?) at my nipple as though he cannot find it. When I try to force him to it, he screams and screams. But now I am not producing any milk at all. I've been dry since 7 days pp, now I am 10 days and still getting nothing. Prior i was getting 3 oz or more every 2.5-3 hours.
There is no lactation consultants where I live, very small town, nearest is 5 hour drive away. And we have no vehicle at this time. Cannot drive anyways since I had a c-section, surgeon told me no driving more 6 weeks.
July 27th, 2013, 01:43 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
So sorry you are going thru this does your OB have any advice? there are medications to take to increase your supply which i believe are allowed in Canada. Are you giving bottles? I would stop all bottles and pacifiers and make sure the baby can only suck at the breast. Skin to skin as well. If you need to supplement (which obviously you do need right now) i would look into a Medela SNS or use a syringe or feeding cup. The more you get baby on the breast, the more your body will be signaled to make milk.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...insupply-pump/

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf..._galactagogue/

here is some info on relactation http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/relactation/

i would also see if there are any La Leche's anywhere near you and if you can call them and talk to them on the phone.

July 27th, 2013, 03:04 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It could be the pump. There are some days where my pump gets very little out, so I manually express with my hands and can at least get a few ounces that way. When my supply is really strong, though, my pump can get out tons. I was starting to dry up at one point too but just kept pumping and kept taking supplements (and tried power pumping) and manually expressing after each pumping session and then my supply went way up. Now it's a little down but still higher than I need.
July 31st, 2013, 05:43 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Check out Baby2Breast, I am not sure if they are set up for Canada, so home visits may be out of the question, but they do Skype visits and they are all Lactation Consultants. I have done some Skype visits with my breastfeeding clients in the past. It's not ideal, but it's better than not being able to see one at all. I cannot speculate how to help you without knowing a full history. Like what kind of birth did you have, any interventions, medications you are on, if you started birth control at all, what kind of pump you are using. You will need a hospital grade pump in order to build your supply back up. If you were using the wrong size flanges, it would make your supply drop. If the pump wasn't strong enough, it will make your supply drop. You have to pump 8-12 times a day in order to maintain a supply. How often were you pumping? Has the baby ever latched on? Was the baby checked for tongue or lip tie? If you want to get your supply built back up, it will take a lot of hard work but it is doable. You have to sit down and think about what you can handle and if it is worth it. You would need to pump minimum 10 times per day until you see it come back up. You would need to make sure you have a hospital grade pump and that the flanges fit properly. I would also suggest you call your doctor and ask about medicines you can take to build you supply up. There are risks and side effects associated with the medicine so weigh the risks and the benefits with the doctor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search