Tips for next time..

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mgm78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2013, 04:03 PM
1st time mom
So I thought I was really set on breastfeeding till my baby was a year old. I heard that it would be hard but I didn't care I wanted to do it. That all changed when she got here. When she was born I caught on to nursing pretty quickly. The nurses helped me and after a couple tries I think we did great. She was a natural at it and I thought it was going to be that awesome bonding experience that mothers go on and on about. But then I went home. When I got home nursing changed for me. She wanted to nurse every 30 minutes it seemed like. I felt like it was pointless to even put on a bra. I wasn't comfortable at all nursing in public and so I never left the house. I sat on the couch all day crying because I could do anything it seemed like but sit and nurse. I went into a depression state. I hated breastfeeding and it made me hate everything else. I LOVED being a mother. But I hated all else. Everyone I know who nurses thinks its easy and amazing. I wanted that so bad. But after realizing that I needed to get healthy mentally and emotionally in order to mother my daughter i stopped nursing and started her on formula at 3 months. I am much happier now and enjoy every second of her but I know that when I get pregnant again I really really really want to have a better nursing experience.
Any advice/tips would be helpful. I just wish that I had gotten it right the first time.
July 29th, 2013, 03:11 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
well, my DD nursed round the clock, 24/7 in those first weeks/months as well. It is normal newborn behavior. I would try to find a baby carrier or wrap that you can comfortably nurse in, so you can be nursing her as much as she wants/on demand and be hands free. It will make you feel less tied down and will be discreet.
JillyP likes this.

July 29th, 2013, 08:15 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hugs! I'm sorry that it was not the experience you hoped it would be. I would personally say that the first few weeks of nursing are not easy. I didn't have a major problem/complication either time in the early weeks, but both of them nursed a LOT. Grace would stay latched on for 45 min to an hour, and I'd get maybe a 30 min break and she'd do it again. Anna still, at nearly 16 weeks, nurses every hour if we're at home. And during the growth spurts (3 weeks and 6 weeks, especially), it was rough. They'd nurse pretty much around the clock, every 30 minutes or so. I'd say, though, it did get easier around 6 weeks. And both times, by the time I returned to work at 12 weeks, things were much better.

Even though nursing is a natural thing, it is not necessarily an EASY thing, especially in the beginning. I agree that finding a carrier that allows you to nurse hands free and still be able to move around the house might be helpful. Also, maybe finding a breastfeeding support group, like La Leche League, in your area. I'd say it's worth giving it a shot with #2, and take it one step at a time. And you're right...your sanity is vitally important, so if it's something that makes it difficult to cope, it's not the end of the world to acknowledge that and move on.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 29th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have wondered the same thing. I felt like all I did was nurse 24/7. Now, DD is 20 months and sometimes it still feels like that. She won't sleep without nursing. I've questioned the thought behind not giving a pacifier. I wonder what would be different if she had taken one & if I'll give baby #2 one.

July 29th, 2013, 10:07 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ Both of my girls have used pacis, pretty much from birth, and it had no negative impact on breastfeeding.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 29th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiSpice View Post
^ Both of my girls have used pacis, pretty much from birth, and it had no negative impact on breastfeeding.
This is good to know! Thank you!

July 30th, 2013, 03:52 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
my DD would not take a pacifier, i tried every one on the market. Though she has a few friends that are 4 and still use them, so i am not too upset that we did not have to go thru that part of the pacifier

July 31st, 2013, 05:59 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I would suggest having a lot of support. Find a really good Lactation Consultant and breastfeeding support group. Take a breastfeeding class so you know what to expect and what is normal for breastfeeding at each stage. I also agree with the baby carrier or wrap.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search