Do you nurse in public?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Are you comfortable nursing in public? Do you use a cover? Do you prefer a nursing station?
August 28th, 2013, 04:10 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I always nursed in public, no cover, that made more a scene and attracted more attention and distracted DD more

August 28th, 2013, 06:07 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
I nurse wherever I am, no cover. A cover draws so much more attention imo.

August 29th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I agree. Everyone knows what you're doing the minute you whip out the cover. I nurse anywhere I am, without a cover. Even now that Keelan is uber distracted all the time. It's difficult not to flash everyone, but they're just boobs.
August 29th, 2013, 08:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I nurse in public all the time, sometimes with a cover, sometimes without... always modestly though. I am comfortable 'whipping' them out, likely more so than most FTM's, however I personally, out of respect for those around me who may be uncomfortable I try not to show too much skin. (We live close to a VERY conservative religious community that BF is not publicly accepted or seen) If I'm wearing a shirt that I must pull up, I'd rather cover up my belly than my boobs So long as it's comfortable for my baby (not too hot, not distracting etc) I don't have any issues using a cover. I also tend to dress with breastfeeding in mind. I usually wear 2 tank tops, when 1 goes up, 1 goes down and there is nothing to see once he's latched, which thankfully he's much quicker at now.

Also, we're becoming proficient at nursing in our carriers (Ring sling, and Boba 3g) twice I've had people come in nice and close for a peek at "the cute baby" to be given a bit of a surprise to see he's nursing.. At that point, they've broken my personal space bubble, so they deserve a little 'show' IMO

August 31st, 2013, 05:01 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do NIP. Sometimes I cover and sometimes I don't. Just depends.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

September 2nd, 2013, 06:14 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont anymore, because we ONLY nurse for bedtime or naps.

When I used to NIP it was either in a carrier (moby) or just in my arms. I never used a cover. Dont even own one.
Nursing in the moby was SUCH a lifesaver for grocery shopping, I'll say that.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

September 7th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I do and I use a cover. We are still new to breastfeeding, my son is 7 weeks.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
September 8th, 2013, 06:46 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't yet. I tried once with a cover and it was way to awkward.m and I couldn't keep the cover up. Because we are struggling with latch on still it is just too stressful to nurse with a cover and also I don't feel comfortable nursing without a cover I. This situation. Once things are better, I will nurse without a cover like I have before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
February 14th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran
I'm uncomfortable breastfeeding in public places so nursing station is preferred.
February 25th, 2014, 09:35 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
It's been 14 years since I nursed, however I intend to BF DD once she arrives. At first I was very self conscious about nursing in public, so I stayed home for a while. Once I got comfortable nursing my son at home, the public was no longer void of my presence. I nursed in public with a cover. Walking around sporting a 42 J made it difficult to be discreet without a cover. At 26 weeks pregnant and already hitting up Macy's and buying a 42 H now tells me, I'm about to have the same issues with discretion yet again. Yes, I'll be a nursing Mom, and proud to be such, but I don't have to put on a show for everyone. While a cover may call more attention to what I'm doing, I'd prefer to keep my Jugs to myself.
February 26th, 2014, 12:19 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I didnt NIP much with DD because between work and all I didnt get out much, and with only one child I could schedule more around her. I NIP a lot more now, sometimes covered, sometimes not, depends on the baby's mood of the day. A couple weeks ago he did fine under a cover (I used it because he's so distractable!). The next time I tried, he pulled it off. So last time I didnt bother and he nursed ok without looking around too much. Even with no cover you'd have to be looking closely to see anything.

March 1st, 2014, 01:41 PM
Lou_Lou1979's Avatar Expecting our first!
I always did or else I would never have got out of the house!! I would often use a cover because DD would pop on and off, make a fuss sometimes and I would often spray milk too. A cover, whilst drawing attention to me, saved me from embarrassment often. I used to love going to meet my breastfeeding mommies and not having to worry a thing about covering up

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search