Worried about milk supply!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM
abbezma's Avatar Regular
My DD Abbigail is almost 5 months old and I have exclusively Bf her until this last 2 weeks . She does not sleep through the night .is up 3-4 times to have a snack and settles well..in bed with me I have started a little bit of rice cereal which she likes once a day and a 5 oz bottle of formula and then Bf before she goes down at night and she still only sleeps 3 hours. I am a little worried i am not producing as much milk..When she was 2-3 months old I leaked alot and was able to after not feeding on one breast for 6 hours, pump 5oz..now I am lucky to get 3 ,,even before i started the supplements I had this problem..I would like to just give her my milk..but It would take me days to get one bottle ..I have tried in b/w feedings and am lucky to get 1 oz after 2 hours of her not nursing. She is gaining wt ..i would just like to be be to get a supply a head but she eats so often i can,t build up a supply!! Any suggestions?? Do any of you Supplement once a day with formula??

I Love My Baby!!
April 21st, 2005, 12:46 PM
loving Alissa and Olivia
A couple questions:
Are you pumping after she eats?
Are you drinking enough water?
Also try talking to a lactation consulant
April 21st, 2005, 01:58 PM
abbezma's Avatar Regular
I am pumping about 2 hours after she eats during the day!! And i drink lots of h20. I will get 3oz in am after feeding her on 1 breast during night!!It just doesn't seem to ba as much...maybe she is just getting more each feeding!!!

I Love My Baby!!
April 21st, 2005, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to linda11567
The best way to increase your supply is to pump or feed more often. Do you pump right after she takes her formula? Or are you trying to have that feeding free for time for yourself? If you don't mind pumping while ro after she takes the formula I would do that.
April 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Regular
My baby boy is 2.5 months old, and he sleeps in bed with me as well. Just like your little one, he wakes up several times during the night to snack. I DO give him one bottle of supplement usually at night b/c my supply is a little low in the evening and it also gives me a chance to get dinner etc ready. But while he is getting the bottle I usually pump and try to use that to supplement. I would suggest pumping when you are supplementing and also pumping in the morning as you have more of a supply then. Other than that pump as often as possible. 1 oz here and another there adds up!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search