Bleeding nipples?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 21st, 2013, 08:36 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone else had a problem with their nipples bleeding? My little guy was nursing earlier this afternoon and I noticed that my nipple was bleeding but he continued to nurse. I noticed afterward that there was what looked to be a blood blister on that nipple. Just a few minutes ago, he spit up and unsurprisingly there was some blood in it. I'm not concerned about the blood in the spit up, I know where it came from. What I need advice on is the bleeding nipple. Should I refrain from nursing on that side and only pump until it heals or is it okay to continue nursing? I should add that for the past week or so, I have been having intense pain, almost constantly, in both nipples. I've checked and rechecked his latch and I feel confident that it's not what is causing the pain. I'm not entirely sure what it is. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 22nd, 2013, 02:35 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
hmmmm. i would say it could be improper latch. I would put neosporin on and wipe it off before feedings. Does the pain continue throughout the feedings or just the initial latch?

September 22nd, 2013, 05:31 AM
The pain continues throughout the feeding, but lessens after a minute.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 23rd, 2013, 04:08 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
then it sounds like it could be the latch. I would try to get someone, a LC or La Leche leader to look at your latch and see if they can help you. Have you tried other "holds" to hold the baby while nursing? football, etc?

September 23rd, 2013, 06:17 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I would have the latch assessed, even though the latch looks good, there could be other problems that you cannot see like a tongue or lip tie. Do you notice any clicking noises while he nurses? Also, it could be a bacterial or fungal infection which both would need to be assessed too.
September 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Definitely sounds latch related and I ditto seeing an IBCLC to get his latch assessed! Good luck, mama!
September 23rd, 2013, 10:26 AM
If it was a tongue or lip tie, would I have had problems before now? He'll be 4 months next week and this is the first problem we've had.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 23rd, 2013, 10:43 AM
It depends, did you have problems for the first couple of weeks with bleeding and cracked nipples? As their mouth gets bigger, they lip and tongue tie can cause issues that weren't otherwise there before. If you take a quick picture, I can kind of assess. Take one of the upper lip flanged out and then take one under the tongue. One with the mouth just open sometimes helps too.
September 23rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
No cracked or bleeding nipples early on. I'll try to get some pictures in a while.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 24th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Here is a picture of his upper lip flanged out... It took a lot for me to get it lol

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 25th, 2013, 05:12 AM
It's hard to tell from that picture, but there may be a lip tie. I would need a better picture to know for sure. It helps if you have someone to help you take the picture. Take two fingers and pull the upper lip out and flip the lip up towards the nose. If it is a lip tie, it look to be class III or IV which is the most severe. The lips are covering the part I need to look at but I think I see a piece of it.

Do you ever hear any clicking noises while nursing? What are the shape of your nipples immediately after unlatching? They should be perfectly round. Is there a crease?

Last edited by juleeannk; September 25th, 2013 at 05:15 AM.
September 25th, 2013, 05:56 AM
No clicking noises but my nipples are usually kind of flattened after he nurses. Would his ped be able to tell me if it's a lip tie? He has his 4 month appt next week.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 25th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Unfortunately, most peds will not know what to look for or will tell you that you do not need to correct it or that it does not cause any problems (completely false and untrue). I can send you a link to a support group if you would like.

Also, upper lip ties usually go hand in hand with posterior tongue ties.
September 25th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Here is a picture of a upper lip tie.

September 25th, 2013, 06:56 AM
Our ped is very supportive and knowledgable about BFing. It can't hurt to ask. I will try to get a better picture.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 25th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Here is a better picture.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 25th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Yes, that is definitely an upper lip tie. Probably a class III but possibly a IV. Most upper lip ties usually go hand in hand with a posterior tongue tie and most doctors miss them because they don't know how to look for them. Here is a link for a support group on both.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tonguetiebabies/

They can cause other problems not related to breastfeeding later down the road like tooth decay and speech problems. That support group has a lot of great information.
September 25th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Thank you. It's great to know what the problem is and that it's not me.

#1, 4, 5, 7
September 25th, 2013, 08:55 AM
You're welcome!
September 25th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
It looks like he has teeth coming in. Is it possible that the bleeding is coming from small cuts on your nipples? That's the problem I had. His lip tie makes it hard to latch properly and his teeth grind on my nipple, just the top ones. It has caused cuts 3 times now and they are excruciatingly painful when he nurses until it heals. I didn't even realize it was a lip tie till now and he is 26 months old next week.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search