Newborn constantly wants to suckle

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By juleeannk
  • 1 Post By Pretty Crispy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
I just gave birth to LO yesterday the 3rd. He BF about an hour after birth and since then we have been doing pretty well. We're working on getting a better latch but it's not bad, but could be better. He feeds for the first few min then just suckles. When he's not on the breast he's searching for anything and everything to suck on. My ta tas are getting pretty sore from the constant demand. I know to expect this, and that he's at least helping my production go up, but owe! I need relief. I'm expressing some extra to coat my nipple with and my RN have me lanolin too.

Should I simply keep letting him suckle to his hearts content while trying to improve the latch or do my nipples need a break? I'm wondering of I should pull him off once it's obvious he's no longer feeding.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

October 4th, 2013, 12:17 PM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I would let him suckle as often as he wants. Congratulations!! What is not good about the latch? Have you had real lactation consultant help you? Has your little one's mouth been assessed for high palate, tongue tie, lip tie, but anyone who knows what to look for etc...

If your nipples are red and raw or cracked and bleeding, lanolin may actually make it worse. Lanolin is extremely thick and can irritate the skin more when you apply it because it is so think and hard to spread on the nipple. If you do continue to use lanolin, rub in between your fingers until to warm it up until it's very thin.
bajars2531 likes this.
October 4th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Pretty Crispy's Avatar Proud Momma
Let him suckle as much as he wants. It will help your milk come in. I remember when I gave birth I had to fill this sheet out with when ds ate and for how long... He was attached non stop for the first 24 hours and guess what.. My milk came in on day 2 in the evening. I never used Lanolin but found expressing milk on my nipples and letting them air dry worked best. Congrats!!
sweet.hun likes this.

October 4th, 2013, 12:49 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would let him get his suckling needs all met at the breast, this will only further stimulate your milk and when your milk fully comes in he will be more satisfied and reduce his suckling. If his latch is not good, then it will tear your nipples up, so unlatch him and relatch him correctly each time it does not look right. And yes, see a LC.

October 4th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
He doesn't get enough tissue in his mouth so it's getting tender. I'm working to keep him calm while latching so he opens up wider. A couple of my RNs were also lactation consultants. They said we are doing everything right, just needing to get him to open wider. The only actual "damage" is a tiny blister that looks more like a drop of breast milk on the tip of my nipple. I'm not fond of the lanolin so I've just been using expressed BM.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

October 5th, 2013, 03:26 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
oh good, hope it improves.

October 7th, 2013, 05:18 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
That sounds like a bleb. If not enough tissue is getting into the mouth, then it sounds like there may be something like a tongue or lip tie. Even the lactation consultants may not know that there is a tongue or lip tie. Some lactation consultants and doctors have no idea what to look for or know that they cause problems. To have a bleb is a big alarm. It's like the baby is not transferring milk effectively.

If it is a bleb, the pain will not subside until it is removed. If it doesn't resolve on it's own, you may need it lanced.
October 7th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Congratulations! It may seem like baby is nursing all the time right now, because well, they are. It does get better though!
October 12th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Regular
My baby was the same way. The nurses in the hospital recommended giving a pacifier, so that my nipples could heal a bit. I introduced the pacifier when she was a couple weeks old and it was a godsend.
October 24th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Firstly, congratulations!

I think let him suckle as long as he wants. Its actually a sign that he is bonding with you which is something to be encouraged.
March 6th, 2014, 04:58 AM
Veteran
I would let him suckle too..I think that's a good sign.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search