anyone use a Medela pump in style adv?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Regular
I need a pump for when I return to work and I have been told by many people to get a PISA. Would you guys agree? Pros/cons of this pump from people who have one?? Also does anyone specifically have the backpack version and do you like it. xx

Medela Pump in Style Advanced Backpack

Last edited by neon; November 17th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
October 14th, 2013, 06:34 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I have used the Medela Pump in Style pump and the Hygeia Enjoye pump. I sell both so I have gotten feedback from customers too. I personally like Hygeia better for a few reasons.

1. They are WHO compliant
2. The pumps have a stronger suction
3. They come with a year's membership to LLL
4. They have a button that records your baby's cries/ cooing for faster letdown.
5. They are closed pump systems (means you can share them or sell them when you are done)

The PIS pumps from Medela work well if they are new, but they don't seem to last as long as the Hygeia pumps. The Medela Rep told me that PIS pumps are only built to last through the use of one child or roughly 12-18 months if used often. The Medela pumps are open pump systems so milk can back up into the motor. If you store it in between children or use, the chance for mold and bacteria growth increase. These pumps you should not share or sell because of that.

The suction of both pumps is comparable, but I personally think that the Hygeia pump was stronger. If you do go with Medela, I would stay away from the Freestyle. As a lactation consultant, I have personally seen mother's lose their supply a few months into pumping using those pumps. Lactation Consultants all over the country also report that. That doesn't mean it happens with everyone, but it happens all too often.

One question, did you check to see if your insurance covered a pump for you? If your insurance company provides a pump for you, you may be stuck with a less suitable pump.
October 14th, 2013, 07:20 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I used the Medela Pump in style advanced to pump when I went back to work for my daughter and it worked just fine. I have an Ameda this time, but haven't tried it out yet. I'm still using the Medela since I'm only pumping occasionally.

October 14th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
I had a Medela Swing, I think. It was a single pump, but I didn't work so that's all I needed. It worked well.
October 14th, 2013, 02:24 PM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I used a Medela PIS (before PISA!) and it was used and I used it daily for 19 months of pumping at work with no real issues with it. I have heard Hygeia is better.

oh mine was the back pack double pump type and it was great and easy to carry along.

October 15th, 2013, 06:29 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i have a medela PIS (original) from 2003. a family friend used it for 1 year each with 2 kids. i used it for a year with DS1 and now 3 months in with DS2! all heavy use due to working FT. it's a powerhouse!
October 19th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I didn't even know what kind I had lol. Just did some research and looks like I have a Medela Personal Double Pump. Apparently it's only available through insurance and not sold in stores. I got it from my best friend who get it from her sister. I do remember her saying her sister got it through her insurance so that makes sense. Neither one of them even used it. My friend was going to but ended up getting one from her insurance so she gave me the medela. I didn't know the bit about medela pumps not being sealed systems and fluids can travel through the tubing and in to the motor then back into the breastmilk. I don't like that very much. It's doing great with me pumping at work though!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
October 23rd, 2013, 07:18 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I have the PIS with shoulder back that I bought new with my first son in 2009. I have used it now with 2 other children. I used it in 2011 for a year with my daughter and am using it with Elliott now in 2013. I have never gotten milk in the motor (it would have to travel down the tubing and this hasn't ever happened. I've replaced tubing and all parts after each child and it still runs great. I have been a pumping mom with each of my children when I went back to work after about 9-12 weeks. I pump every weekday at least 4 times a day and also 1 night pumping. I have never had a problem with it.

ALSO. When I couldn't find shields in the size I needed at any local retailer, I called Medela to order some and they sent me a set at no charge. They had great customer service!
October 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by juleeannk View Post
One question, did you check to see if your insurance covered a pump for you? If your insurance company provides a pump for you, you may be stuck with a less suitable pump.
No, my plan is grandfathered, so they don't cover any pump.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search