Nursing tips to nurse until the baby is about a year?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi guys! I wanted to post here because Im in need of nursing tips, or tips to prepare for nursing. Im NOT nursing right now, but I did just find out we are pregnant with our third, Im Almost 8 weeks. Anyways My first ended up not latching on and I pumped for about three months until I dried up. With my second, I nursed full time up until 8 weeks. but I had to stop because my breasts hurt SO bad! My nipples were raw and bleeding, sometimes I couldnt wear a bra or even a shirt (than goodness my first was still little so he had no idea) It was just awful. After those 8 weeks I rotated between nursing and bottle, which he was fine with, but they ended up getting so sore, even then, that I just decided to pump, and supplement with formula, but eventually when he was about 5 months I went dry. This time around, I REALLY want to be able to nurse until the baby is about 8mos-1yr. But I would be happy with 8 mos. Is there any tips that can help me "prepare" for nursing? Any tricks so they wont be as sore or bleed this time around? I really appreciate any advice.

October 24th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Meet with a lactation consultant now. If you had sore and bleeding nipples, there was a problem with your latch or your little one was tongue or lip tied. I would make sure those things are not an issue right now. Get into a breastfeeding support group. Your hospital may have one, but if not reach out to the local LLL group leader.

And I recommend the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding to read now. I could not have nursed as long as I have if I had not read that book while pregnant.

You can totally get to a year and beyond! You just need the right support!
October 25th, 2013, 04:14 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
yes, meet with an LC now or go to La Leche meetings (ours have 4 meetings, one a month for a complete series) and from there, when baby comes, you will already have a support system for when baby comes. Definitely sounds like it was a latch issue so getting professional help to correct the latch early on will prevent problems that will prevent you from nursing.

October 25th, 2013, 06:12 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
ditto find someone who will be able to offer hands on help with latching. My DDs latch was bad and I toughed it out for months until she got bigger and it was a bit better. With my son, I saw a LC at 1 week and she helped me get his latch better and nursing him has been so much easier and pleasant.

October 29th, 2013, 05:54 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
My best advice is not to suffer. If you experience any pain, seek help right away to remedy the situation the fastest.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search