New mommie and I am having multiple problems....

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Hi! I know I'm new but I'm having some serious issues with my breastfeeding. My little boy is 6 months old and I think my milk supply is drying up. So this is what's been going on...

I have been EBF since birth. I used a nipple shield for 4 months and my LO was seriously under weight. Was in the 1%. And so I ditched it and fed him without it. He gained 2 lbs in a month and now he's chubbier and happier at 19 lbs. But it wasn't easy and it seems to be getting harder...

It took me 4 months to convince is pediatrician that he had reflux so that was a NIGHTMARE! I did food elimination and I'm still dairy free. I had an IUD inserted 2 month PP and had to have it removed because it was causing me problems. I just started the minipill and it seems to have decreased my supply a lot. And it's still going down. I'm eating oatmeal every meal and its starting to make me sick but I'm just trying to hold on until my fenugreek and blessed thistle comes in the mail. I don't have an electric pump but I do have a hand pump. And I try to pump when I can.

I do breast compressions too... I don't have money for an electric pump or to see a LC. I'm trying to keep everything together. I have tried so hard to EBF and I want to continue but I don't have support from my boyfriend or his family. They want me to stop. And everytime I run into a problem the first words out of their mouths are "Well, there formula and bottles..."

I did supplement for a month but stopped as soon as he started eating better. But he was constipated from the formula and rice cereal the doctor and my boyfriend were feeding him, so NOW he wants pear juice more than anything else. I tried watering it down but he just cries harder. I am adding a liquid vitamin to the juice so he's getting that but... and I'm still taking prenatal vitamins and omega 3. But I can't get him to stop the juice.

I'm just in tears. I don't know what to do. Sorry if this sounds insane... I just... don't know what to do. I want this more than anything. I want it to work. PLease help me.
October 27th, 2013, 04:29 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
what measure are you using to determine that your supply is decreasing? Is he eating food? If so, nurse BEFORE food. Definitely ditching the nipple shield was the best thing you could have done. Can you stop the mini pill?

October 28th, 2013, 09:35 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Have you reached out to your local LLL group? Have you considered talking with WIC? If you qualify, they usually have a breastfeeding support person there that might have some ideas.

Do you have insurance? Your insurance may cover an LC.
October 29th, 2013, 05:49 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I was going to suggest the same things as Rachel.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search