Poops

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Maenfayne
  • 1 Post By -erin-

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
Maenfayne's Avatar Veteran
Have any of your babies been one of the "once a week" poopers? I really don't like it, but his doctor says it's actually pretty common. We took him in to be checked just in case. No sign of any problem, but they recommended 2 ounces of apple juice to try to stimulate things. This was after already trying to stimulate his bum with a qtip. He's tooting quite a bit, and doesn't seem too fussy. Every now and then I'll get a tint of yellow when I change his diaper and wipe his little bum. But nothing more than that. Jake just gave the bottle of apple juice, so we'll see how it goes. I know breastmilk is efficiently digested, but come on little man... give me some poo.

10.03.13 8lbs 11oz 21 inches
Excuse my typos, there is either a baby on my boob or sleeping in my arms

Thank you *sharon* for my adorable siggy

November 4th, 2013, 03:55 AM
mgm78's Avatar Zoe's mom Meredith
Send a message via Yahoo to mgm78
I would not give juice, it looks like he is only one month old? Breastmilk is so well utilized by the body that many babies do not poop, DD would poop every 3-5 days and my one friend's DS pooped once a week.

November 4th, 2013, 06:29 AM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
Oh no juice it's just sugar and so not good for their gut and you can do a lot of damage with a qtip. My boy still poops every 7-10 days at 6.5 months old. Don't worry about it, it's completely normal.

November 4th, 2013, 06:46 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Agree...it's normal. My nearly 7 month old poops MAYBE once a week. Unless the consistency is dry/hard, and they're in pain, it's nothing to worry about.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

November 4th, 2013, 07:41 AM
I was hating the juice idea too. Only did it because the dr recommended it. No change though so it was pointless! Ugh. As for the qtip, it's not inserted just rubbed gently around the bum. I don't like that either as he squirms so much.

Thanks for your responses. I feel better hearing from actual moms instead of an impersonal article you know?

November 4th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Juice at one month? I would NOT give juice and I would find a new pediatrician, STAT.

It's totally normal. When he does go, does it seem like he's struggling? (straining is normal) in pain? is the poop hard, crusty, chalky? If not, he's just fine.

You could try tummy massage and bicycle legs to help, but I would not stimulate him rectally or give him any juice.
November 4th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Well he hasn't gone since last Saturday. Before that it was a couple times a day. At that point it was liquid yellow, like honey mustard. He doesn't seem to be in pain. But every now and then he gets fussy for no apparent reason. I'm not sure if he's crying about his tummy or not but he gets best red, scrunched his face, and pushes with his legs. That's when I give him some counter pressure on his feet to help him push. I've tried tummy massage, following the large intestine to encourage movement. We also burp him like crazy as he's super gassy from a poor latch. Little man gets so much air when he feeds.

The pediatrician we saw isn't his primary dr since it was a last minute appointment. She's on the same team though. I'll be talking with his primary though, Nd if he suggests juice too it'll be bye bye time.
Rachel likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 02:24 PM
CrunchyMommaTo2's Avatar Proud Momma
I had to do a LOT of bicycling when L was a newborn as he had horrible gas, and lots of tummy massage. Even know in the middle of the night he will whine and groan and I put pressure on his belly until he toots and relaxes.

November 5th, 2013, 12:51 AM
HE POOPED!!! Lol who knew it could bring me so much joy to change a dirty diaper? It wasn't a ton, just a little spot but I'll take it! We did tons of leg raises, bicycles, and tummy massage today. Maybe that did it it maybe it was just time. Either way he spit up less which is another bonus! I think we'll be adding these exercises in to our daily routine.

November 5th, 2013, 05:14 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
Have you thought about taking him to see a chiropractor? I've seen it help so many infants who had irregular bowel movements.
November 5th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Actually I think chiropractic work is covered under his insurance. (why ENT isn't but that is baffles me) I did want to have him adjusted anyway because he tends to keep his head tilted. I'm constantly having to turn his body back towards me while BFing him too. He likes to lay horizontally and turn his head, I can't imagine that it's good for his little neck or his muscles. I heard craniosacral massage also helps with BMs. Any idea which is more effective?

November 12th, 2013, 12:18 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I should have come here last week! My baby is an infrequent pooper. He was going once a week - week and a half starting around 6-8 weeks, but recently went 2 1/2 weeks! And now it's been a full week again..

When he reached the 2 week point I was a bit concerned since everything says something along the lines of "bf babies may not go frequently, some only go once a week"... well we were far beyond that. I was afraid to talk to the ped since I hear so many stories of them being pretty clueless on the subject. Instead I emailed the LC we saw when he was little and she reassured me that as long as he was happy and had a soft tummy, he was fine. The longest time between pooping she had seen was 21 days. Zachary ended up going 18. When he finally pooped he didn't have mass quantity, just normal for him (which is a full almost blowout diaper), and it was normal consistency and color.
Maenfayne likes this.

November 15th, 2013, 02:54 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I remember with my first being completely panicked when he stopped pooping for like a week at a time. My doc rec. the juice too and it didn't help. We also did the qtip and it didn't help. My second seemed to poo more regularly but with my 4 month old now, he is the same way as my first. He only poops maybe once a week and the night before he finally goes he starts getting fussy and will not eat well..then the next day he seems to poo. I am going to start on some prunes mixed with cereal and see if it helps at all because I hate for him to start getting uncomfortable for the day before he finally goes. Just know that it is normal.

I know everyone keeps saying oh I wouldn't give juice or NO juice but hey, if your comfortable with trying it, you won't know if it will help until you try it but I will say if he doesn't seem uncomfortable or bothered by it, try not to worry about it. (I know easier said than done!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search